Author Topic: Overdrive function  (Read 642 times)

54manhattan13

• View Profile
Overdrive function
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
I am experiencing some unusual results with my overdrive.
I can't get the transmission into reverse with the overdrive ingaged. I was under the impression that you are supposed to place the transmission in reverse too keep it from rolling when parked with the overdrive ingaged.
When I pull the overdrive out (disingage it ) the transmission easily goes into reverse.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Overdrive function
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
I had this happen once - car would not stay in reverse when OD was engaged.  Turned out a snap ring inside the trans jumped out of its groove.  That's likely not  the cause as that was very unusual.  According to the shop manual, if the spring inside the OD rail/lever in the trans breaks, it can cause this symptom.
And yes, if you have the OD control pushed in, you must park in reverse.
Sounds like you do have an issue.  Without opening the trans, it's hard to say for sure. It could be the rail switch spring. 

The other time I saw this symptom was on a '51 Frazer where the owner installed a backup light switch which was operated by the lever on the side  of the trans. That switch got jostled out of place and would not allow the transmission to go into reverse.  A visual inspection of the outside might reveal the cause. Have a look first and see if anything might be obstructing  the movable  parts on the outside of the trans. Here's hoping it's something simple like that.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios