Author Topic: Aero Fuel Tank  (Read 3326 times)

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
Aero Fuel Tank
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »
I have discovered gaping holes in my fuel tank. Is the Aero tank common with anything else - like the CJ3B?

Thanks for the help!

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aero Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »
The CJ3A/B tanks are under the drivers seat and are simple in construction which means they won't work for what you have in mind. Unless you have LARGE holes, I would suggest removing the tank, cleaning it as best you can and using a commercial slush/sealer on it. 1 qt should do 2 coats and don't forget to protect the fuel line outlet so it doesn't get plugged up.

Don't even think of using a torch to mend holes before using the sealer - tape, Bondo, resin, JB Weld are better solutions. I had to try a torch on a tank one time because the solder joint that attached the fuel line outlet to the side of the tank was cracked. Even though I washed the tank with gasoline, then MEK and twice with water and detergent, some fumes from old gas were still present and ignited - with a loud noise and a flame that shaved off the hair on my arm. The 2nd and 3rd ignitions were milder. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »
Unfortunately, W Aero tanks are unique to the car due to where the filler and fuel outlets are located. There is a national franchise...Gas Tank Renu...that may be able to help. The tank in my 50K looked great until I got it cleaned out then it resembled swiss cheese. They were able to repair and recoat the tank. It set me back about $350 but I now have a lifetime guaranteed tank that has not leaked, peeled or rusted in the 10 years since it's been done.

I tried Eastwood's sealer system on my Darrin tank and it did peel. I later learned that others have had the same results so depending upon how bad your tank is, you may want to try the Gas Tank Renu folks...they'll tell you right up front if it's worth repair.

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
Thanks for the lead. I have already returned my Eastwood sealer kit, since the holes are huge. Perhaps I should get a keg and mount it in the trunk (after emptying it of course).

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:40 PM »
I would bring the tank to a radiator repair shop and let them do the repair and reseal work. I've had good luck in the past with 3 or 4 different gas tanks.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.