Author Topic: "Onslaught" book  (Read 2957 times)

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
"Onslaught" book
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »
I went shopping for one and purchased it via Craigs List from a Library...in excellent condition.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Onslaught" book
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
That was the first history of K-F ever done and a very interesting book but it was written 42 years ago and contains some errors and misinformation.  To compliment your purchase get Jack Mueller's book "Built To Better The Best", Brooklands book on Kaiser- Frazer road tests as it contains many but not all of the several road tests done on Kaiser-Frazer and Willys cars published in popular automotive magazines.  Also there is  "Kaiser-Frazer Photo Archives" by Patrick Foster and  Bill Tilden that contains factory photos of most Kaiser and Frazer cars by year.  That will give you great resources on the products and you can still go on line to circlekf.com and find the answer to most any K-F question that you might have if you cant get the answer right here on our forum.  Information on some of these books is offered in the KFOCI Bulletins and are another reason to renew your membership and be a part of this great group of K-F-W owners and enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:16:39 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
Okay.  Thank you.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »
Even though Last ONslaught contains some errors, It is still the gold standard. A must have.
No old cars owned.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »
Last Onslaught... I remember it being advertised in an early issue of Special Interest Autos for $14.95 (plus shipping). I wasn't interested since I wasn't involved with the cars then. Later, when the prospects for a 2nd printing weren't encouraging, I got a copy of off eBay (when they were a much smaller entity and not as cutthroat) for $50. Of course 6 months later, there was actual progress in the reprint and my brother got his copy for $45.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:42:52 AM »
That book has really held its value for many years but recently I have seen them offered at around $20.00 on eBay.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
That book has really held its value for many years but recently I have seen them offered at around $20.00 on eBay.

I think generally prices will go down, even on Jack's book.   I have a signed Onslaught Book and I would not mind getting another one in worse condition just so I can use it for reference and not worry about it's further deterioration.  It's one of the few books that I have not given to 1/2 Price Books.
No old cars owned.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
I think generally prices will go down, even on Jack's book.

Used copies may be available at a lower cost - just don't go to the Amazon Marketplace. The prices there much higher than a new book, and claims that it is out of print are false. We have copies of Built to Better the Best for sale that can be autographed and/or inscribed ... or you can purchase directly from the publisher: http://mtpublishing.com/index.php/default/kaiser-frazer.html#.WfS5ymhSzcc   
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »
A Fred Walker Story: At the KF National at the Queen Mary in 1989, Fred was in the vendor's area sitting in the back of his 49 Virginian. A guy came up and looked at what Fred had and expressed interest in buying a copy of "Last Onslaught..." Well Fred had a stack of about 10 of the books and this guy was obviously trying to deal Fred down on the price. "Well, I only have 2 $20 bills, I don't suppose you take credit cards?" Fred smiled, reached behind and brought out an addressgraph (credit card embossing) machine. "I sure do!" said Fred. This guy was so caught off guard, that he didn't say anything but just handed Fred his card.

Extra story: I was at the KF National at Grand Isle (Buffalo) NY and an interested spectator expressed a desire in having something that described the KF cars. I went into the Hospitality Room and bought the last reprint available of the 3rd Edition of the KF Handbook - $10. I returned to the parking lot and offered it to this person and he just sniffed without even looking at the Handbook and said, "I wanted something with color pictures." I suspected he thought someone would give him or sell him a copy of "Last Onslaught..." for $5 and this was a way of testing my notion.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Those are some funny stories.  Both Last Onslaught and Built to Better the Best are fine references with different viewpoints.  However, BOTH are considered old school books and somewhat out of favor with what some new readers want. 

This may be one reason that both have seen declines in prices.  Last Onslaught takes some focus to read the fine print and the photos are mostly archival black and white and do not "pop". Nowadays, they have high resolution photos, the set on the pages is more user friendly, the quality of the paper stock is superior, and so on. 

Plus everyone is aging and fewer folks want these books and KF books in general.  I think the writing of historical books on the automobiles we love and the history of the men and companies is far less than it should be, which is a shame.

I have read with gusto many books on old cars-history of companies.  One of the best is Robert Lacey's "Ford - the Men and Machines".  Langworth's book "Last Onslaught" is special because it is not just reporting, there are interjections of humor and antecdotals. 

I have gotten into and out of this old car hobby a few times in my 53 years, and when I do I give away my books.  I know some people think they are super valuable and I should throw them on eBay, but I just give them away.  Gave away my Built to Better the Best and tried to give away my Collectible Automobiles although I still have a stack I need to throw out including the very 1st issue. 

But I retain my Last Onslaught because it was a Christmas gift from my wife and is signed by Langworth.  I began reading Langworth's work in 1978-79 when he was writing for Collector Cars magazine, which I believe is no longer published.  It was an article on the 1949 GM hardtops (ironically). 

Another book I should have kept was the "pictures" book, the photographic based one. Lots of great photos of the Virginians.  Maybe I will buy some again. 
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
I have collected automotive books for many years and probably have around 500 which I enjoy and they have given me a ready reference on different makes of cars.  My main hobby is collecting automotive postcards and the books are invaluable in identifying different makes and years of old cars.  We have a few automotive book stores in the Los Angeles area and they offer many new books frequently but with the price on new books being from about $20 up to $100 it makes buying new ones difficult financially.  Fortunately eBay has many bargains and that allows adding a few new publications to the collection.  If you want to read more about Henry Kaiser and his industries there are a few available and even a small book on Willow Run history.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:22:47 PM by Gordie »
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »
I have found this one to be a hard one to find.  I was surprised to see it is on Ebay now.  I also found a photo in it of KF meet at the building.  I think it was 74 National.  Lots of plaid pants.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »
If you want a good book about Henry J. Kaiser's history during the war, read:  Freedom's Forge: How American Business Built the Arsenal of Democracy That Won World War II .   It is essentially about two people, William S. Knudsen and Henry J. Kaiser.

Publisher's Summary

New York Times best-selling author and Pulitzer Prize finalist Arthur Herman pens this fascinating look at how two businessmen turned the U.S. into a military powerhouse during World War II. In 1940, FDR asked General Motors CEO William Knudsen to oversee the production of guns, tanks, and planes needed for the war. Meanwhile, industrialist Henry J. Kaiser presided over the building of “Liberty ships” - vessels that came to symbolize America’s great wartime output.
©2012 Arthur Herman (P)2012 Recorded Books
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
I have found this one to be a hard one to find.  I was surprised to see it is on Ebay now.  I also found a photo in it of KF meet at the building.  I think it was 74 National.  Lots of plaid pants.

Wow! I've never seen that one. I was at that meet. I downloaded the pic and blew it up. Me and my brothers are in it (I was 14). I circled us.  Also, John Haller in the foreground (I put a red line to him).
I may have to get that now.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »
The car poking out in the crowd is Ken and Blanche Mericle’s 51 Traveler.