Author Topic: Finding my Henry J Vagabond  (Read 2265 times)

Dixon

• View Profile
    • Email
Finding my Henry J Vagabond
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
I was told I had to sell my 1952 Henry J Vagabond years ago in Las Vegas NV, and would love to get it back.  I can’t find the present owner, and the KFOCI registry still has it in my name, so I assume that the new owner is not a member - somewhat disheartening.   

The Serial Number is K524-1047318.  It was a 6 w/ OD, with a Continental kit, a trunk, and dinosaur vinyl, and the Paint is the beautiful Saddle Bronze Metallic (235).  It had been completely rebuilt and rewired.  Everything worked and I used to drive it to work. 

Does anyone know about this car?  Can anyone, or does anyone know how to trace cars (maybe in official State records NV, CA etc.)?
(If you find this car no one will ask how it was done.)

I do hope it has not been crushed or abused as it was a beautiful car (in the eyes of a Kaiser-type at least)

Thanks

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finding my Henry J Vagabond
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Those records likely still exist at least in paper form. Believe me, if that car was involved in something of interest to law enforcement they could likely trace it to when it was first registered. The trick is to be steered into the correct dept at the DMV that routinely searches those archives.............. and even more unlikely.........to someone there with a sympathetic ear.

I had a title issue for the heir of a very good friend of mine and lucked into just such a person. As an afterthought, I asked about a title for my Healey, lost for decades as well as the last license registration (ex-wife?). Records went back pretty much to when it came off the boat and what it sold for. A photo of the VIN plate plus my history got me a new title.

Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:15:58 AM »
In California if a car is not registered for four years the records are removed from the data base and the public can get no information on it.  I hope that someone on the Forum or in the club will remember your Henry J.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
Dixon, huh?  Does it look like this, Neal?   ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:19:47 PM by Vagabond Russ »

Dixon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »

It did not look like that at the time of sale.  It did not have a two-toned paint job.  It was 'saddle bronze metallic'.  It had a trunk and a continental kit and looked like the one in the picture on page 154 in "Last Onslaught . ."   They do have black plastic hood ornaments. 

What is the history of the one in your pictures?   

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:15 PM »
I don't want to take your thread off track but here's some FYI.
The car on page 154 of "Last Onslaught..."  looks a lot like the one that belongs to Jerry Johnson of IL (it isn't). 
Jerry's is a four cylinder model with the painted hood trim replaced with chrome.
It still survives, I saw it in 2012 in Sublett, IL at the orphan car show that he co-hosts there every Sept.
It's a very nice, low mileage example.  Here's some pictures from 2012.

The color is Caribbean Coral. Let us know how it compares to the one  you're looking for.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:19:33 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »

What is the history of the one in your pictures?

Blue Diamond, Nevada.  Las Vegas, Nevada

Dixon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »
Fid:   That is an absolutely beautiful car!! and what mine would look like if I had finished it (except for being saddle bronze metallic rather than Caribbean Coral).

The car needed upholstery and paint when I sold it.  It had the Vagabond scripts (Vs broken off), large wheel covers, and chrome around the windshield (like a 6 cyl should -not like yours Russ).

The left rear quarter panel had turquoise paint under the saddle bronze metallic and I always assumed (imagined) the story was that the car was damaged during shipping to the dealer so it was sent back to the factory.  But it was late in the year so they repaired it with left over parts and made a Vagabond out of it and sold it as a ’52. (Nice story and I’m sticking to it).

I purchased the car in Chico CA in 1980 where it has been stored in a barn for many years.  I rebuilt it mechanically, drove it and had to sell it in Las Vegas in about 1997 to a Jeff Campbell.  Never heard from him again.

Vagabond Russ K.;  Don’t be cute.  You know I owned every single Henry J in Blue Diamond, Nevada and they all had continental kits.!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »
Dixon, did you have any luck locating your car?  In an earlier post you mentioned the "registry."  If you're referring to the KF Registery hosted by Harold Hagen, that one just lists who reported the car and that is not necessarily the same person who owns/owned it.  That list is not updated when cars change hands so it may or may not be useful in locating owners. It is a good place to start though.  I hope you can make some progress in locating it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Dixon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
Fid  No, I have not had any luck yet in finding my car.  I was indeed referring the the KF registry, but I did assume that the people listed would be the actual owners of the cars rather than simply those who submitted the information.  Should this list, or could this list be changed/updated to show the present owners of the cars?