Author Topic: Turning rear drums  (Read 2575 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Turning rear drums
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:26:28 PM »
I took two rear drums from my 53K in to O'Reilly's, our local advertised drum turner. Turned out there was no way they could do it with their equipment, as the thing that holds it on the lathe shaft ends up riding on the rivet heads and wouldn't be stable. I assume that there are other types of equipment that would work? Mayhap a full service machine shop would have something that would hold the hub externally? Before I go running about, would appreciate any suggestions from anyone's experiences. Thanx.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turning rear drums
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
I took my front drums to the local Midas shop for a clean up.  I'm assuming the rear are the same.   Not sure.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:38:33 PM »
Unfortunately the rear drums are quite different, and present an issue in securely mounting in the lathe because of the rivets. Going to take them in to a not specifically automotive machine shop morrow and see what they can do.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
We have a good shop in Austin, Austin Brake and Clutch http://www.austinbrake.com/, who turned both front and rears and relined shoes without problem.  I have used them several times and they are excellent.  Of course this won't do you much good if you are not nearby.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:38:19 PM »
Well, that tells me that the problem is with O'Reilly's equipment and not a generic issue with modern equipment. Thanx. I will go and look around out of town til I find someone who is comparable equipped. This is assuming I ever manage to get the axle shaft pulled-new vistas in stuckness.

1948 Kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »
We had the same problem but we were pointed to an old, local machine shop that had the proper shaft to mount the rear drums and turn them.
1955 Chevy Bel-Air, 1965 Malibu SS, 1972 Ford F-250 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1994 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4, 2003 Ford F-150 Lariat Super-Crew