Author Topic: 54 Manhattan carburetor issues  (Read 1068 times)

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan carburetor issues
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
Good afternoon All,
Sorry to bring this issue to this forum but I am at my wit's end with a Carter WCD and I am hoping that I can find some relief here on the forum.
The carb runs grossly rich, to the point that it ca foul clean plugs in just the time it takes to warm up.  On occasion I can put clean plugs in and it rums well until I step on it to pass etc. then it will foul the plugs and run poorly. The supercharger is not on it as it has a noise in it so I tries to use a small hot rod air cleaner on the car.  If I set the air cleaner on top of the carb the engine will flood and  stall.
I rebuilt the carb and the problem continued.  I sent the carb to National Carburetors who assured me that they could fix the problem and they sent it back with the metering rods crossed and jammed.  two professional mechanics have attempted to adjust it without success.  I'm lost.  At this point I would just like to find someone to fix it or find a rebuilt one to buy.  Any help you can afford me would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Barry

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 54 Manhattan carburetor issues
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
There should be a small brass tag on the carburetor with a number stamped on it. It could be one of the following - let us know which you have.
2052S
2146S
999S
781S

I would guess the lot is riding too high, allowing too much fuel to enter the carb and causing the rich mixture issue. But, that's just a guess based on your description. I'm sure others will have some thoughts as well.

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
Thanks for the rapid reply Joe.  Unfortunately the brass tag is long gone and the only numbers on the casting are all the patent numbers.  I bought the carb from Fred Walker quite a few years ago, cleaned it up and rebuilt it.  Ran quite well for several years, but I was only driving the car or running it for short periods of time as I was refurbishing it.  Then it began to deteriorate and that is where I am now.  Can you or anyone recommend a reputable rebuilder?  I think that may be the best way to go at this point.  Had the car since 2002 and I want to DRIVE it.  By the way are Rudy Phillips and Larry Barker still in the parts business.  I get no answers from them.
Thanks, Barry

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 02:36:27 PM »
Yes, both are still in business. I have better luck reaching Rudy at rudyskfparts @sbcglobal.net. Larry is another story.

I've always rebuilt my own carbs so unfortunately, I can't recommend anyone in particular. I'm sure someone will chime in.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Benchwick Carburetor, Youngstown, Ohio. 330.782.3767. www.carburetorohio.com. You'll talk to Harry.

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »
Thanks immensely to both of you Joe and Darrin.  The carb is on its way to Youngstown, OH for what I hope will be a successful fix.  I should know in a couple of weeks what the verdict is and I will let you know how it went.  Now for the rebuilt supercharger with about 300 miles on it that is making noise; but that's another story.
Thanks again,
Barry

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
I got the carburetor back from Benchwick Carburetor a couple of days ago and I now have a NEW 54 Kaiser.  The service was excellent, the prices was very good and the final results were fantastic.  Highly recommended!
Thanks for the advice!
Barry

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
I'm happy that you're happy Barry! Harry has done several carbs for me, everything from the Darrin to our '35 Packard, a couple of the Corvettes, the '56 Continental MarkII, '60 Lincoln Mark V, well, you get the idea. And...not a dud in the bunch! Now go drive that thing...

Gary  (Barry, Harry and Gary. We could start a law firm!)