Author Topic: Piston ring replacement  (Read 1185 times)

51mike

• View Profile
    • Email
Piston ring replacement
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Is it possible to replace piston rings with the engine in the car?   It is a 51DeLuxe.   I know the pan can be removed, but I am concerned the frame may block easy access to the rod bearings.  Doesn’t need boring or crank work.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Piston ring replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:10:49 PM »
The factory shop manual shows activities relating to pustons should be dole with the engine out of the car (see pgs. 16-20, Kaiser and Frazer 1951 models Kaiser-Frazer Shop Manual).

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:11:08 AM »
The service manual shows how to remove the engine on pages 16-20, but to replace the rings you can do that with the engine in place. I just replaced the rings and pistons in my 1951 Frazer without removing the engine. Keep in mind the cowl extends a bit over the back of the engine block, but it is easily done. I also did a valve regrind while I had the head off. If you are a competent mechanic, you can do the job.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
The shop manual also states that you need to remove the grill and fenders to remove the engine but you don't have to. I replaced the rings in a '48 Frazer without pulling the engine.  Yes the '51 and later Kaisers are a different body and frame but I would still feel pretty confident that you can replace the rings on them without removing the engine.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
If you are going to replace rings, I would recommend you hone the cylinders after taking the head off. This would be done after dropping the pan and removing the piston. With the head off take a micrometer reading of the cylinders to see if there is excessive wear. It doesn't make sense to replace rings if the cylinders are out of round. Then the block would need to be bored and oversize rings installed. So disassemble and mic cylinders first to check the block. You can do this with engine in the car. Before removing the head check compression. Then grind the valves if needed while the head is off. Hopefully new rings and a valve grind is all you need.

carsngolf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
This is an easy project if you simply do it the right way.  That is, take out the engine and give it to a competent engine rebuilder.  So you spend a few bucks but you have the confidence of sitting behind a reliable rebuild which would never need to be done again.  Pulling the engine is a simple process needing only the removal of the hood, radiator, exhaust system and unbolting the transmission.  Putting it all back together again is simple and I did the entire project alone with a borrowed hoist.  Be careful though if you have a GM Hydramatic as I managed to damage the seal in the transmission and it leaked badly afterward.  Easy but expensive fix.

Enjoy the car.  You'll never spend a few bucks on a better project.

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
No big deal to remove the engine and put it on a stand.  You,ll love yourself for doing it the easy way and you will be able to clean up the engine compartment, which i'm sure is caked with crud.  And if you run into problems that need a machine shop the engine is already out.  Probably want to clean and paint  and detail the engine too.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.