Author Topic: 54 Mahattan Spark Plug  (Read 2493 times)

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Mahattan Spark Plug
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:24 PM »
What is the correct spark plug for my 54 Kaiser? I can't read the plug numbers or the make that in the engine right now. Is R45 AC Delco correct?

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Mahattan Spark Plug
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
You are about to get several lectures on what is 'correct' and I suspect you really want to know what will work.
A Champion J8C will work just fine.
A Delco 45 (r=resistor) or 45S (s=extended tip) will also work.
After you get your car on the road and do some extensive driving, you may want to reconsider the spark plugs.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
The car will be at the Midwest meet in Peoria, IL on May 7th. I will be asking :-\ many questions of anyone willing to answer. This is my first Kaiser and I hope it will be a pleasurable experiance. It is a father-son experiment. 

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
I hope that you got some good information on the spark plug question at the Peoria IL meet.  Kaiser-Frazer's original factory plug for a 1954 was the A-7.  There was a Service Bulletin issued in 1951 that applied through the rest of domestic Kaiser production stating that if a Kaiser owner had A-7 plugs and experienced problems with vapor lock (and that was with the gas back then rather than the stuff available today with lower evaporation point) that the dealer should put in A-5 with a slightly cooler spark.   K-F did not use Champion, AC or any other brand on Kaiser and Frazer 226 engines.  Because these plugs are not generally to be found today, anything else in the heat range could be used.  Fred Walker found a jobber in Colorado who would sell him J8's at wholesale so suddenly that became THE plug for K-F products.