Author Topic: 1951 Kaiser Special  (Read 2007 times)

MarkKnisley

• View Profile
    • Email
1951 Kaiser Special
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:12:58 PM »
Hello,

I recently inherited my grandfathers '51 Kaiser Special and when I got it the distributor was taken off.  I know the car runs because he used to show it often at KFOC meets. 

Does anyone know how to put the distributor back on in the right position and how to get the firing order for the plugs?  I know virtually nothing about it, but would love to get it fired up.

Thanks for your help!
Mark Knisley

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 1951 Kaiser Special
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »
Hi Mark,

The distributor in a Kaiser 226 engine is actually easy to install. On the top of the cylinder head is a hole with a threaded stud sticking up next to it...that's where the distributor mounts. The bottom end of the distributor has a tab on it that is set slightly off center. That tab fits into a slot the top of a long rod that sits down in the hole on the top of the head. All you need to do is set the distributor on the head, take the cap off and then turn the rotor until the distributor drops in place. The distributor base has an ear on it that loops over the stud. Run a bolt down on the stud to hold down the distributor and you're all set. A wire will need attached from the + side of the coil to the tab on the distributor.

If the long rod that runs down into the engine is not in place, simply drop it down into the hole until the slot at the bottom fits over the oil pump tab. You'll know it's in place when the head of the rod sits just below flush with the opening of the hole. If, when you try to start the car, it backfires, then take the distributor off, pull out the rod turn it half way around and put it back in. Then, replace the distributor.

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. The distributor has an oval Delco Remy tag on it. When mounted, that tag will face the front of the car. There are 2 clips that hold the cap in place...the #1 wire goes in the hole just to the left of the clip that faces the front of the car...just above the "R" in Remy. The remaining wires are installed in counterclockwise order as noted above.

Timing the engine can be roughly done by lining up the pointer on the top end of the distributor adapter (the part with the ear) with the space between the left rivet that holds the oval tag in place and the "D" in Delco. That'll get you close enough to get the car running. Then, once it is running, loosen the bolt that attaches the adapter to the flat plate that it's attached to and gently turn the distributor until the engine begins to slow down...then turn it the other way until it smoothes out. That should get you close enough to be able to drive the car. Also, don't forget to attach the metal vaccum line to the end of the vacuum advance.
Hope this helps!

shawn_and_his_kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Kaiser Special
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
This is really great info...thank you!
1951 Kaiser Special