Author Topic: Radial tires on factory wheels?  (Read 1212 times)

Dave43

• View Profile
    • Email
Radial tires on factory wheels?
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
I'm considering a set of modern radial tires to improve the handling of my 1953 Kaiser Manhattan.  Is there any issue mounting these on the factory wheels?  I currently have a very worn set of bias ply wide whitewall tires on the car now.  Thanks.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radial tires on factory wheels?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:34:40 PM »
I ran them on my Aero wheels years ago and have a new set waiting to mount now.

Your wheels, bead to bead, may be too narrow for a wide profile tire, which will cause heavy low speed steering anyway. The closer you can get to a narrow round tread, the happier you'll be.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
THE VINTAGE TIRE SUPPLIERS CAN ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIOINS--THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS TO KNOW

GIVE DIAMODBACK A CONSIDERATION--SUPPOSEDLY BETTER THAN COKER
I HAVE THEM IN MY HJ
10K MILES  NO PROBLEM

Dave43

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  The tires I've located are Uniroyal Tiger Paw radials in 205/75R15 which appears to be a direct replacement for the 6.70-15 tires from the factory.  My father had put G78-15 wide whites on it, which is what is currently has. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:17:08 PM »
This topic seems to pop up from time to time. The suspension and steering on any car built before radials were common aren't "tuned" to handle radial tires. Adding a set to your Kaiser will improve straight line handling since the tire won't try to follow grooves in the road like a bias ply tire will, but that's about where the advantage ends. As was mentioned, slow speed steering will be more difficult and it's been said that radial tire geometry puts undue pressure on rims not designed to handle the stress. I had a set of Michelin radials on my 53 and once I switched back to Firestone bias ply tires, it was as if I was driving a different car - for the better.

The problem we have today is that a bias ply tire can cost twice what a similar sized radial does - which is one reason folks look to make the switch. There are companies that market radials supposedly designed for older cars. One of them is mentioned below, however, their product doesn't come cheap.

Bottom line, if cost is a factor, then radials will not break the budget. But, your drivability will suffer. If you want the original look and feel, then spend the extra few bucks and go with original equipment.

Dave43

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
Good points Joe, thanks.  the particular tires I'm considering are a new set of older wide whitewall radials that the owner's estate is selling.  I can buy the set for $150 and am going to check them out tonight.  so yes, definitely cheaper than $800 for a new set of bias ply which is why I'm asking.  thanks.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »
GIVE DIAMODBACK A CONSIDERATION--SUPPOSEDLY BETTER THAN COKER

I have no first hand experience but I have a friend here who put a set of Diamond Back radials on his stock '51 Henry J (see attachment) and he says they're great.
I'm looking at a set for Edgar Kaiser's Henry J since no one will custom make what it needs in a bias ply. They'll only do  radials. That car has different rims (Keystone 14 inch). The key feature I want to maintain is the triple white wall on them.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:05:11 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
If the tires have sat for a number of years (I noticed the comment about an estate sale) be sure to check for dry-rot and roll each tire (if you can) to see about minor "flatness" that can occur from the way they were stored over the years.

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
Also check for which side of the car they were on.  A good tire salesman can determine this by feeling of the tread.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »

I've had very good results with the XAS, but it's a vintage radial designed for cars at that time. I wouldn't put a modern square shouldered flat tread radial on anything without power steering.

This link claims 1949 as the first year of radial production. I suspect most cars back then had standard wheels & suspension.    https://www.michelin.com/eng/media-room/press-and-news/michelin-news/Passion/Michelin-Classic-Modern-tires-with-a-vintage-look

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
Also check for which side of the car they were on.  A good tire salesman can determine this by feeling of the tread.

Ok, I'll bite :)
How does that work?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:42:13 AM »
It should also be noted that wheel fiex can occur with radial tires on a bias-ply rim.  I have this problem on my 1952 HJ.  No matter which wheel is at the driver side front position, certain types of pavement causes the wheel and tire to flex, popping off the whell disc (it's a 6 with full wheel covers).  The front end has been inspectred by an experienced mechanic and he came to the same conclusion.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 10:00:18 AM »
would welded vs riveted rims make a difference?

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »
It shouldn't.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:07 PM »
If you can not keep the full wheel cover on the right front on a hard left in your J, you are not alone. I Pasted my home phone and a reward notice inside mine and paid off several times!
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.