Author Topic: Running for the first time in 35+ yrs!!  (Read 4969 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Running for the first time in 35+ yrs!!
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »
Did y'all hear me whooping?  It runs!  After I posted my last round of rants and questions, I went back out to the shop.  We (the car and I) had a few words, a small squirt of ether in cylinders #1, 2 and 3, turn the switch, push the button and vroom!  Since I don't have the radiator or water pump installed I only let it run for 15 seconds or less.  Good news is, we ended on a high note and I had to turn the key off to stop her!  Sorry for all the exclamation points but boy am I excited!  Thanks for all the help, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me  ;)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Running for the first time in 35+ yrs!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »
Great news! Keep us informed.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
Your good luck must have rubbed off. I've been working to get my 54 running again. It had last been on the road in 2000 when it below a head gasket and cracked the block. A new engine and lots of tinkering and I was able to get it started this afternoon. Still lots to do but a major milestone has been reached!

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
That's great Joe!  Of course when I went to start it again, it refused to fire.  My mechanic friend had come over to check it out, he thinks that the plugs are fouled and not firing under compression.  We put some more oil in the cylinders to help the rings seat a little better and are going to try some AC Delcos tomorrow, wish me luck...

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »
Congrats, both of you!  Exciting news.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:34:22 PM »
Lisa ,great news on your car...keep at it!! I've found that my 54 will not fire unless the choke is completely closed for a cold start.
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »
Hi, I had some advise on the gradual re-awakening of a low compression engine on your other thread. Its going in the right direction now. Oil it again, choke it WELL, (real important especially with low compression and a cold engine) and even if you have to use a tub for inlet and outlet of water in lieu of the radiator in place, get it running...
cheers!
Jim
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
Hello all, I worked on the car again last night.  Replaced the spark plugs with NGK's, changed the oil and tried to start it.  Ultimately ended up having to rotate the distributor as far as it could go counterclockwise to set the timing and she started and ran!  I let it run for a minute, during that time it seemed to get smoother.  Thanks again for all the advice.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
The 226 is one of the better engines to work on from that period.  which NGK plugs are you using?

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
LisaP: Good going! Put a timing light on the marks (use white paint or chalk on the mark to see it better) and see how much travel you have  (move distributor VERY slowly with lock down nut loose and engine on slow idle with vacuum advance hose plugged at distributor with a golf tee). If you have to move distributor all the way to one end of its travel to get on the mark or close, you probably still have your distributor one gear tooth off. When properly timed, your distributor should have travel in both directions to retard or advance timing. The vacuum advance is disconnected so as not to affect your reading. The timing light is on the #1 plug and you will see timing marks on the bottom front of the engine by the big pulley (called the vibration damper). Once this is all done, hook up the vacuum advance and rev the motor, you should see the timing advance with your timing light and this shows that the vacuum advance is working properly.

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »
Boating Bill, thanks for the great timing instructions, as soon as I get a radiator or cooling setup I will attempt setting it.  I was afraid I might have to index that distributor again, I just love jacking up the engine and pulling the oil pan-not!  It did start right up tonight after just a couple squirts of gas with the throttle and seemed to run great.  I say seem as I am not familiar with how these engines are supposed to run, but I can tell you that I let it idle just a bit then hit the throttle a couple of times and it didn't sputter, chug or miss a beat!  Considering the engine was stuck when I got it, and I did the work on it, I am pleasantly surprised that it even runs.  I am now trying to get the brakes done while I am waiting for my water pump...

Kaiser Frazer Library, I am using the B6S NGK's.  Stock no. 3510.  Gapped to .032.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »
That is great! Once you get it running on a regular basis, it should start to free up with use and a few oil changes, and you never know, the compression might even improve somewhat on its own. Cars get barn stored sometimes for tiny unimportant reasons. My Studebaker Wagonaire 259V8 could barely get out of its own way when I first got it, and used it infrequently over 10 years, and it smoked blue on both banks. After using it this year on a steady basis daily, it no longer smokes even on startup, and power has increased enough--maybe 25%-- that kickdown in overdrive does enough that I can pass on 2 lanes roads safely. I have put 2000 miles on it this summer. It keeps getting stronger the more I use it.

One thing to note is modern oil is now designed for cars with catalytic converters, so it is almost universally missing the zinc and phosphorus required by old flat tappet engines. If the highest API rating on is still CI, it is safe to use (good luck finding it, although some diesel/tractor/truck places might still have some) but if it has CJ even if it says CI compatible, IT IS NO GOOD!!! The old additive of Zinc and Phosphorus leaves a sacrifice coating that keeps excessive wear from happening. (THIS IS CRUCIAL, BTW, in newly rebuilt engines! There is a reason for special break-in oil.) There is a commercial product that you can get, ZDDP @ about $9 per bottle with the correct concentration about 1600 parts per etc for each and just add it to regular oil, likely 30 single weight or 10W-30 in an original engine, or 10W-30 if rebuilt, or 10W-40 if in a hot summer place. OR, you can get some of the special oils that still have the additive like old time oils. I use either Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20W-50 in my Studebakers (the only weight, unfortunately, available in Canada, but in the States 10W-40 is available) or go the best price regular oil and add a bottle of ZDDP other than at mid-summer. Single litres/quarts of VR-1 cost me $6.77 at my FLAPS, and I guess if I shopped around or bought it by the case I'd get a better price, but each change is $30-40 dollars, depending how many quarts it takes which isn't too bad if you do your own oil changes.

Another consideration: does your car have an oil filter or not? If not, change your oil more often. If there is a filter (my 49 K has it) it might be a 'partial flow' type, so not quite as filtered as a full flow type. My two 57 Studebaker Champion sixes don't have oil filters, so you change oil every 3000 miles or so. My 63 Wagonaire V8 has a full flow block and a real filter, so it can go longer. Another thing I add with every oil change is some STP, because it leaves a 'sticky' film on the inside of the engine, which helps with the lubrication on startup until pressure builds, or if sits for several days or a week between drives. This might help a little tiny bit with your compression problem too, until the rings and valves guides and everything loses some of the varnish and gunk.

Hope this helps. Everyone feel free to chime in and make corrections or additions. I don't know very much about Continental engines as such, having spent more time with Studebakers.

Cheers, Jim
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
Jim B: Your remarks about your 63 Wagonaire reminds me of my 55 Commander, except I decided the valve seals were gone on my 259. One Saturday I took off one of the valve covers and the rocker assembly. I removed one valve spring and there was what seemed like a thin oxidized plastic shell underneath. Yes, that was the remains of the valve seal. After all, synthetic rubber is a polymer and not all that different from other plastics. The replacement was Chevy V8 truck type seals (hat style) which were $1.18 each back then at NAPA. Cleaning the valve cover, replacing the cork gasket with a wide & thick bead of silicone and waiting for the silicone to mostly cure took as long as removing and reinstalling the valve springs.   
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170