Author Topic: Farewell Dad  (Read 2250 times)

KYFrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
Farewell Dad
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:18:11 PM »
My father and I restored a 1947 GP Frazer over the course of many years.  He was so proud to debut it at local cruise-ins and shows.  We were excited when the KF Club was meeting at Mammoth Cave Park some years ago as it is near.  We made our reservation and our entire family made the trip down.  Our initial excitement and enthusiasm gave way to disappointment.  Not only were many of the members dismissive of our effort, they were hurtful and crude with their comments.  Instead of engaging in conversation about the car they made ugly remarks and ridiculed our choices.  So much so that my Dad became disillusioned with the show circuit, club and the eventually the car itself.  He finally donated the car to the Shriners who auctioned it off for charity to support the Shriners Hospital; it brought $40,000.  My Dad passed away unexpectedly this January.  My point in saying all this is let folks know that the collector car community should be supportive and caring.  My Dad invested alot of time and money into restoring the vehicle only to have it dismissed.  Comments and critiques should always be offered with a desire to support and improve not to tear down an individual.  The Corvette community is notorious for this type of behavior; we were surprised to hear it from the KF community which on the whole seemed like a more mature crowd.  Please remember to be kind and supportive; you never know who is listening.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Farewell Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about your Dad, a sad but inescapable end for us all, and I think it's good you related your experience with the club,

Not surprised at all by your story, I have had several interactions with club experts issuing what I've come to describe as "personal decrees of fact", only to remain silent even after seeing conflicting factory documentation produced in some instances. Generally there's a good bunch of guys involved here but I've discovered that regardless of someones reputation as an "expert", their opinion should be consider only an opinion without the documentation. I could extrapolate further, but suffice to say, we're all getting older, memories get spotty and egos find it hard to take that bite of humble pie we all inevitably create, while it's early, and still small. Your story and experience is not unique to this club from what I read. It seems common to some other clubs too.

I too am restoring a car, now with my grandsons. Even though it's mostly correct, there are numerous small details that are not, that likely would be noticed by most "dyed in the wool" Aero guys, some I'm sure I would have to point out. No doubt some experts would gleefully point them out to everyone that will listen, almost yelling "citizens arrest!" Barney Fife style, others nodding in agreement as to why the modifications were valid.
I'll probably do the annual local show organized by the painter at the VFW, maybe one of the Kaiser-Frazer shows or Midwest Willys shows if they ever land close. After I'm too old or gone, the boys can do what they want with the car, or join wherever they feel welcome.

Savor the time you and your dad spent together rebuilding the car, the shows you attended, and the satisfaction you shared where your project was unequivocally welcomed and appreciated for what you two did together. Regardless of what happened here, those memories are priceless and irreplaceable, many wish too late that they had them too.

The fact that your car brought 40K, even for a good cause says a lot. I highly doubt that no "expert" here but a Darrin owner would risk more than a few paltry dollars betting that their car could garner anywhere near 40K at an absolute auction. You & your Dads hard work went to support a good cause.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:54:18 PM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:18:54 PM »
Mark H,  Very nicely said.  The club does not ever want to have anyone disappointed but some of us are unofficial critics and we need a reminder like this to remember that we all have worked hard and spent lots of money and time restoring our cars and we sure do not need criticism for all of that effort.  Lets enjoy all of the cars and appreciate the effort it takes just to get to the meets.  Very few of our cars are prize winners.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

dragondust

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »
So sad, and so true. That is why we instigated our own Packard show here in Palmetto three years ago. We have no entry fee and no judging. To our mind, the participants and their cars are the ones that should be treated! Owners spend an inordinate amount of money on their cars, be it restoration, or simply keeping them in good driving condition. We try to provide perks and heartfelt thanks for their presence; THEY make the show. As for caustic commentaries, we have yet to hear any at our event. With no judging, owners are freed from bringing only trailer queens. With no judging, owners feel a certain freedom about what they drive, even if the engine is wrong or the upholstery welting is too big. Of course, we have some Packards exhibited that would bring up to the magic number. Many participants go home with those cars as references and are inspired to improve their own. I am sure some observers see wrong choices in restorations, but they are gentlemen and ladies and keep it to themselves. By the way, a cordial welcome goes out to all K-F-W owners for our fourth annual show on Saturday, April 9, 2019!

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:54:06 AM »
The Midwest Division had a show several years ago that discouraged judging.
It went over well with many but was "against" the constitution.
It was a precedent to eliminate judging.

Please anybody... help elaborate on what happened 'cause I can't remember the details.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:28:31 AM »
The AACA very wisely instituted a class called "Preservation of Historical Features". It is not judged and has been wildly successful.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
I thought We had Do Not Judge ?

We had a very good Modified Class in  Judging starting in 1986 or So I think.

My Late Friend in Our Club Won Many Times... Most of You know Him... He could add a V 8 & it Looked Factory Original...
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
Yes, there has been a "Modified" class for years.  There's always been an option for "Do Not Judge" as well.  I participated and assisted in judging the Modified class at the KFOC National in Auburn, IN in 2004.  Judging modified cars is different than the other classes.  The requirement is the car must have a major change to the drive train - otherwise anyone using spark plugs that are deemed "incorrect" could claim their car is "modified." The Modified class is judged based on "Fit and Finish" as opposed to "How did it leave the factory" as the other classes are (at a National).
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:42:10 AM »
Judging Standards, Constitution and By-Laws are available for the asking to members and non-members alike.  Judging standards can be found on the CIRCLEKF.COM website which is available to all.  Constitution and By-Laws can be obtained from the Club Secretary.   

As for judging itself, Barbara and I have a nice 1952 HJ Corsair Deluxe with original interior and (as far as we know) original paint and under 43,000 original miles (again as far as we can document).  We enjoy taking it to car shows and are not trophy hungry. Posting a DO NOT JUDGE sign on your car or adding DO NOT JUDGE when you pre-register for a meet is all you need to do if you don't want your car judged.

For is, showing the car lets people see a car rarely, if ever seen otherwise for many people.  When the curious talk to one of us about the car, they find out that cars are more affordable than they think.  They also find out that parts to keep Kaiser-Frazer products running are much more available (and much lower priced) than some of the more popular makes of the period (1946-1955).  Most important, they find out there is a club that supports the products and offers good service in a number of ways via the various publications and people who are available as a resource.  We brought in a couple of members last year (we got the car in June 2017) and did so again this year.  On that point, imagine what a concerted effort by 100 to 150 people might do to boost club membership. 

What is called judging in the KFOCI is intended as an evaluation of someone's car against an established standard by a third-party, much like the practice in American industry of a Quality Systems Audit (such as ISO-9000 and TS-16949).  What is good on the car (strengths) is identified along with areas that need inprovement (weaknesses).  The car owner gets to see the results and decide if the car will remain as is or if it goes to the next level of detail.  If an owner feels that something was incorrectly identified in the process, they can talk to the Chief Judge to see if an error was made (people are human and humans are known to make mistakes). All cars in the same point range get the same level award; we don't have first, second or third onlly.  I have found among the "complainers" on judging are the people who's cars are no longer as prestine as they once were or their cars are being judged to actual details and "that's what the guy who sold it to me said" is no longer accepted as proof.  Members can see what they can do to document their car in my article MAKING A BOOK that appeared in the Spring 2018 issue of the QUARTERLY.

I know that more peoploe registered for the Forum are not members (many with no intention of ever joining) than are members of the club (if every member of the KFOCI was also a Forum member they would still account for the minority of registerd Forum users).  Non members are welcome but it is hoped that once they sampled what the club could offer, they would join.  Unfortunately, it is my opinion that there are some non-members who have realized that they don't have to join to get everything they need (help with questions, find sources for parts, etc) so why spend the money?  I personally feel that they abuse what we have here and, as in so many different types of things, this small group may end up spoiling it for all the other non members.   The $35.00 a month for an annual membership can equate to 1 Starbucks Latte (depending on type/size) a month.   I ask those non-members reading this to consider joining in that context. i should point out that, unlike other car clubs, membership dues have not risen a penny in over 10 years.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:22:20 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
kaiserfrazerlibrary, Well Said.

I tell New Members get Judged but Make It Fun. Things not Number One fix to Original as You can to make Original. It Your Vehicle & what You want to do with it. Remember Its Your Vehicle. If You want to keep the same fine.

AACA regionals, they have read My Story of the All Vinyl Dragon's. White Poplin Top vs. Normally Bambu . Head Judge was training Judges with My Dragon at the First Regional I attended. They Called Hersey & said Yes  Your Everything is right & Original but rare. I always got 2nd Jr. 15 Years Later judged again 2nd Jr. I always wanted First One Time & then get Reservation what is it 5 Years later ? Showing I Preserved it still taking to Car Shows.

Our Club I always did Well & Fair. It was always More important to Me that Our Club would & should be Up on Our Original Vehicle's & I did very well.

I am so Proud Of this Club With Our News Letters ( Award Winning ) almost Every Year. I had Our News Director at The Radio Station read One. He said Best He had ever Read. Then I told Him Our Club gets the Golden Quill Award Almost Every Year.

Our Quarterly Number One.

Keep Up the Good Work...

Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
I like the idea of a "mentor" for new members to get them going.  These mentors should be knowledgeable about the product they are mentoring about.  I would be willing to mentor any new members as best as I can.  Over the years, I've owned a range of cars (some of them licensed and driven) and am currently delving into the mysteries of the 1952 HJ Corsair Deluxe Barbara (who by the way is the KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN editor and helps with layout work on other club publications) and I acquired the end of June 2017.

Jim Betts "secured" certain  areas of CIRCLEKF.COM because, like me, he realized that if everything became available to non-members, nobody would need to join the club.  The KFOCI offers a lot of good material to members to support their efforts to get cars restored (or made nice and presentable drivers) and keep them on the road.  The more cars that are seen out and about, the more people will get interested in them and (I hope) realize that ownership of a K-F or Willys product may be something to think about.  After all, it's easier to find our stuff in a parking lot than a particular 1957 Chevy or a Ford Mustang.