Author Topic: Oil pump replacement  (Read 1072 times)

Tevel Jean-Jacques

• View Profile
Oil pump replacement
« on: November 04, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
Morning all,

The question has most probably been asked, but I didn't find it in the different posts and answers.

I have a 1952 Manhattan, and the oil pressure is a little bit too low at my opinion. It is at 25 PSI with engine at running water temperature and "cold" oil, and around 20 PSI with running temperature for water AND oil.

I run the car using 20W50 oil.

I would like to start trying to solve the issue by changing the oil pump, but would like first to know if the oil pan and the oil pump can be removed/changed without taking the engine out of the car.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
JJ.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Oil pump replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
The rule of thumb is 35 lbs of oil pressure at 35 mph. If your engine is delivering that kind of pressure then I would not be concerned.

The pan can be removed without pulling the engine. You’ll need to move the steering components out of the way. Once the pan is dropped, the oil pickup will need removed to pull the pan completely off.

Tevel Jean-Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Hello and thanks a lot for your answer.

The pressure is far bellow the 35 lbs. I'm rather at 20 lbs at 55 Mph, and when the temperature is higher, the pressure is close to nothing at idle speed.

My intention to change or restore the oil pump is driven by the fact that the engine has been rebuilt by the previous owner (I have the restoration picture showing it), but I'm not sure they changed the pump.

Thanks again for the info, they will be more than useful.
Have a great day.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
Oil pressure can be lost through worn engine bearings and a new oil pump may not solve your problem.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Tevel Jean-Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:55:16 AM »
That's very true, but as I mentioned above, it was rebuilt by the previous owner, so I hope it will at least improve.....

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:47:27 AM »
KF oil pumps employ a cast iron body with a stamped steel base cover. Over time, the cover warps and allows oil to escape as it's being pumped which results in lower pressure. If you do remove the pump, be sure to check that the two mating surfaces are indeed flat. Many rebuilders don't do this, assuming that if the pump is moving oil, then it must be working.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
KF oil pumps employ a cast iron body with a stamped steel base cover. Over time, the cover warps and allows oil to escape as it's being pumped which results in lower pressure. If you do remove the pump, be sure to check that the two mating surfaces are indeed flat. Many rebuilders don't do this, assuming that if the pump is moving oil, then it must be working.
My Willys oil pump also has a stamped steel cover. The steel cover was machined a few thousandths to rectify impeller wear & ensure flatness by the company that rebuilt it.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Tevel Jean-Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
Woaw.... I'd have never thought about that. I sure will control it. Thanks a lot for the advise.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »
If you decide to rebuild, I have the following oil pump gears for 51-55KF NOS in original KF Boxes:

1-207222 for Cast iron cam
1-200248 for Steel cam
1-200251

You'll need to confirm the application for your car from KF Parts list or seek assistance from members here. 

I don't accept returns on international parts shipped unless they are misrepresented.

$10 each plus shipping.

mbfleming@aol.com

Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:53:49 AM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)