Author Topic: COOLING SYSTEM  (Read 1620 times)

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
COOLING SYSTEM
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
I am starting a new thread for cooling systems I think it will make it easier to find what people are looking for and not have to wade through pages and pages to find the info.

here is the picture of my Darrin with the 331 Cadillac engine in it with the stock radiator and a 6 blade fan.
I have converted it to 12 volts and put in a pusher electric fan. It works great even in Arizona, I drive this car a lot.
I did learn something when I finished the car and drove it, it did overheat and coolant came out the overflow so I filled it back up and checked it out and drove it again. when I stopped again it came out the overflow again. Not a lot came out so I decided to not refill it again and drove it again. It never overflowed again, it found a level and has been great ever since. might be worth a try if you are experiencing this problem.
Lee
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: COOLING SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
So still Overheating or OK ?

You may have to put a band around it to cover Full Blade to be More efficient ?  Plus, Safety You don't touch Moving Blades when engine is running.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »
An old timer who spent time as a KF mechanic once told me that the full point on a KF radiator is when the upper tank is half full.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
The old systems had an "overflow" built into the top of the radiator, so that when the coolant came to operating temperature expanding into that area.    The new radiators are completely full all the time, hence the need for an overflow bottle for when the coolant expands.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)