Author Topic: HJK hydroplane, Hornet II  (Read 1595 times)

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
HJK hydroplane, Hornet II
« on: December 31, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »
Got my Nov/Dec issue of Vintage Motorsports. read an article about Ned Spieker from Menlo Park, Ca. and his great collection of vintage race cars.  Towards the end it mentioned he was also a fan of boats.  Thought I'd recopy that section here as it mentioned Henry Kaiser, Howard Hughes, aluminum...so here goes:

VM 2018/6, page 49:

"He's a fan of boats, too---old, very fast boats he can himself pilot full throttle.  His Lake Tahoe joy and each summers demo racers is the famed Allison aircraft-engined 1930 Gar Wood "Hornet II" aluminum-deck hydroplane conversion that Howard Hughes did for her original owner, Henry J. Kaiser, the American industrialist and shipbuilder who gave our automotive world his rousing post-WII Kaiser-Frazier cars.  Imagine if Ned had gone into that same industry ......................"

A brief mention, something I didn't know, and wanted to share. 

I don't know Ned.   Appears he, a west coast/gone bigger real estate guy, has some overlap with HJK's background (west coast, boats....cars).  According to the article, Spieker started his car racing later in life with vintage cars at higher end.   

Perhaps there's a new Kaiser article in this?  Would be neat to see/hear that boat today, as well as explore this branch in the Kaiser/Hughes connection tree.  Maybe include a visit by Kaiser owners to Tahoe?  Lots of ideas to build upon....  Perhaps already done, and I just didn't know.................... 

Hope you like the connection.....good to know the boat is still loved and used...

Bob L.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HJK hydroplane, Hornet II
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
Amazing how many Projects Kaiser has done & Sucessful
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
Henry Kaiser was an early investor in Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose" airplane but pulled out because Hughes was such a perfectionist that nothing was getting done to finish it.  The U.S. government pulled out also and Hughes finished it himself which is another story.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:55:50 PM »
Yes , Love the Howard Hughes Story. Like Edison Persistance = Finished Product.

Bob L. ,
Did You Make it to 1989 National at Queen Mary- Spruce Goose ?
One of The Best ... They had a 1947 Kaiser & a Frazer parked inside next to The Goose. We had National Vehicle’s in the Parking Lot.

Oh Yes , They let Me speak to Thank All Member’s Helping Me Find Our Original All Vinyl Dragon.
Owner didn’t want to sell & becomes Best Friend.
I got a Twin that has been in The Club & Helped Me discrib the Rare Color Combination & Interior.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:02:19 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »

jbailey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
I saw the Spruce Goose when I visited the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA in the 1980s.  The Spruce Goose is now located at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, OR. Read more about the Spruce Goose at:  https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-spruce-goose.

John B.

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:44:21 PM »

Bob L. ,
Did You Make it to 1989 National at Queen Mary- Spruce Goose ?
One of The Best ... They had a 1947 Kaiser & a Frazer parked inside next to The Goose. We had National Vehicle’s in the Parking Lot.

Didn't make '89 "gathering"  however, saw the Goose back in 78 or 79.... quite the bit of plunder.   

Impressed with this powerboat, Hornet II, something different, in use....not a static display...

If into aviation, need to make NAS PEN a stop....National Museum of Naval Aviation, free entry, and Blues practice weekly during season out back... Deep South Region AACA has a spring meeting over in Mobile...could roll all into one trip...bring tourist $$$ down to us poor folks!

Bob L.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
K F W National By Many Members said One of The Best in Our Club History. But Bob L. You Have Showed More Good History For That Meet. My Late Uncle Dad’s Brother Desighned Planes For Air Force. I got Him a Book with The History of Spruce Goose at The Museum.

I’m as before mentioned With being My Home Town. I shot Pictures at Locations We had Our Original Twin Dragon . It was My Longest Run with No Problems. Plus got to Meet Everyone in Calif. to Thank in My resurch. See a lot of All Vinyl Dragon’s sold in Calif. because Custom Build Vehicle’s was Popular.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:14:19 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:13:22 PM »
The Princess court at the Queen.Notice the tree. You could sit in the shade.This is not usually possibe at one of our shows. My 2 tone,marriner grey/dove grey 52 J is not in that line. I came late and wound up with the slabsiders.Rick Kamen was all over the place working. The wife and I stayed on the Queen.Rooms were kinda small. It was a Great meeting. The 53 Hal Nouman now owns was in that line. It belonged to Neil Greener then. He drove it down from the bay area.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:54:02 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »
Wow,
Great Picture.

It was a Fun Show for All.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
When I was 16 years old I rode my Whizzer motor bike to the top of Signal Hill overlooking the Long Beach CA bay and watched the Spruce Goose take off on its only flight.  I saw it again in Oregon with the Airflow Club about five years ago.  It is really a huge airplane with eight engines.  It is on display at its new home with other airplanes parked under its wings.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »
Signal Hill and cars...
A way back when, I was in the carpet business and visited the home and Ferrari collection of Jon Masterson in Signal Hills. He was owner of Pacifica Carpet Mills and we were doing some business together. His Ferrari collection was large including one that he sold for $14,000,000. Yup, I said $14,000,000.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jon+masterson+long+beach+cars&sa=N&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS793US793&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=2ahUKEwiFgu34pOHfAhUKUa0KHfPgATgQ7Al6BAgGEA0&biw=1152&bih=753#imgrc=e42gRdzPilCMVM:
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »
We are kinda getting off topic.  I look forward to these interesting articles about all the different projects HJK got into, like the hydroplane.    When I see someone comments, I hope it is pertaining to the initial topic, if not, let's start another topic.   I look at those items that interest me, as I would assume most of us do, and when they get off target, it becomes a waste of my time.  I'm just asking us to stay focused.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 04:28:55 PM »
I admit to being ill focused and it's getting worse. I'll do my best to keep it off the board. My apoligizes
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
As I hadn't seen the Hornet II, did some surfing.  Amid several hits, came with this one...

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/HornetII.htm

Think it hits most of the buttons...  FYI.

Bob L.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 11:17:04 PM »
This is really an eye opener.   It said HJK drove it himself, then when it was refurbished by Howard Hughes,  it started winning.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)