Author Topic: No power to the starter button  (Read 1185 times)

mtbearded1

• View Profile
    • Email
No power to the starter button
« on: August 13, 2020, 07:51:33 AM »
Trying to get my '48 Frazer Standard back running.  The battery is fully charged (6 volts), and the key shows full power.  There is no power showing at the ignition button, and pushing it does nothing.  Doc replied to another ignition problem suggesting that the generator needed to be charged.  Might that help here, or do any of you have other suggestions as to why my starter button is acting like a useless ornament?

Bryan
The Bearded One in Montana

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: No power to the starter button
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »
Probably meant polarized, not charged. 
I do not having the wiring diagram in front of me, but sounds like a broken wire or faulty starter button. 

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:56:24 PM »
I don't know about a Frazer but on fords of the era the starter button was just a ground to energize the solenoid, no power to the button.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:53:36 PM »
According to the factory shop manual, the '48 Frazer standard and Manhattan, one wire on the starter button (says it's white but it likely faded to tan as most do) goes to the solenoid and the other wire (also white) goes to the switched side of the ignition switch.  So with the ignition switch on, there should be 6 volts on one side (or the test light should light on one side) and the when button is pressed, the other side should light too and the starter solenoid should energize and spin the starter.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios