Author Topic: Deep South Region AACA show in Mobile, Al. today  (Read 706 times)

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Deep South Region AACA show in Mobile, Al. today
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »
Drove my 54 Manhattan over to the annual show in Mobile.  Held by the Deep South Region chapter of AACA, it was located downtown on the River Front next to the Convention Center, in Cooper Park.  This was venue used last year for their regional show.  The "regular" show has been at their club house over on west side of town, normally Sat. before Mother's day.  This year they kept this early date in March.  Result was mixed.  Very cool, wind blowing out of north strongly all day, following cold front and rains over night.  Cooper park is a nice setting with Austal ship building across the water (can see new Navy ships under fabrication).  However, access and parking is something of an issue due to downtown location and space.

Think there were about 60 or more cars in all classes. 

I drove the Manhattan over, stopping on way to pick up a former co-worker... Going over took part on highway 90, rest on I-10.   Seems lots of folks have no clue that mid 50's cars are heavy with marginal braking, when they zip in and out of traffic.  Came home across the causeway to 98 and 90.  Car behaved just fine. 

Got a "best Vintage" trophy.  Guess the 56 Desoto convertible didn't want to be judge...not asking..just keeping plunder.   Pleased to be recognized.  Visited with many who didn't know Kaiser, share my stories, seemed well received.  So, was worth the trip (and cold weather) on many aspects.

Attached is a photo sent me by another Kaiser "dude" who came to look and see.  Huge file made posting a bit of issue (Hope I didn't muck up site too bad...)  Perhaps a tad tacky look, that cardboard tube "prop" provides relief for springs/hinges.    60+ years of work by OEM springs deserve relief.   Plus, lifts hood up a bit higher to keep admiring heads from getting caught on the corners and latch. 

(Also invested about an hour helping another guy get rad. hose back on T-Bird in background.  Rolled around underneath avoiding dumped anti-freeze... yuck!)

Bob L.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:31:10 PM by Bob L. »

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deep South Region AACA show in Mobile, Al. today
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
Car is beautiful. The cardboard post was a good idea.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk