Author Topic: Cooling system questions  (Read 1317 times)

westmorland

• View Profile
Cooling system questions
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:25:01 AM »
I'm really new to doing work on a car by myself, so I've been digging through the forum, manuals on Circle KF, etc.  I know this topic has been discussed a few times, but there were a few things I haven't been able to find the answers to. 

So, it looks like the engine on my 53 Manhattan is definitely running hot.  I took her out for a drive the other day.  It was 85 degrees with a nice breeze.  I drove about 5 miles, stopped for about 20 minutes to grab some lunch, then drove back home.   As I was getting home (maybe about 1/2 mile from home) I saw the temp gauge was getting close to the red.  When I got in the driveway, I pulled out my infrared thermometer and took readings all around the radiator and engine block.  I got readings from between 205 and 210 all over the block and radiator.

I did a cooling system flush (just water for the moment) and noticed when I pulled off the elbow on top of the engine for the return to the radiator that the retaining ring for the thermostat was missing.   I've gotten a new thermostat, gasket and retaining ring, but I can't find anything about the torque required for the two bolts that hold it onto the engine.   Does anyone know what that should be?   

I've also seen for newer cars the recommendation to use RTV sealant when putting the elbow back on, but I don't think that was done whenever the thermostat was previously replaced.  Is that something I should do, or is it not recommended for our older engines?

In reading about doing a flush on the forum I've seen mention of removing the rear freeze plugs as well as mention of a drain valve on the engine for the cooling system.  I haven't been able to find a diagram that shows me where those parts are though.  Could someone maybe post a picture of them so I can locate them?

I also saw Jim Brown(Corsairdeluxe) recommend using Oxalic acid and TSP to flush. http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,10461.msg47522.html#msg47522  Has anyone else used these?

Finally, I'd like to buy another water pump and water pump gaskets, before I pull the water pump off, in case there's a problem there.  Would this be the right model to buy?    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/replacement-water-pump-fits-54-64-truck-station-wagon-with-6-226

1953 4 door Manhattan
1954 2 door Early Special

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Cooling system questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
It definitely sounds like your cooling system isn't working as it should. When you replace the thermostat make sure to put it above the retainer ring in the elbow, it should not rest in the block. Tighten the two bolts just enough to prevent the gasket from leaking. You can use RTV sealant in conjunction with the gasket and that will help form a good seal.

I would not remove the expansion plugs. After all these years in place, removing them may give you trouble when installing new as rust around the opening could prevent a good seal. The only drain plug on the 226 engine itself is next to the starter. It looks just like the radiator drain petcok. TSP can be used to help flush the block...I've never used oxalic acid so I cannot comment on it.

The water pump you linked to is the correct unit for the Kaiser 226 engine.

westmorland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »
Thanks.   I'll give the TSP a shot and see how that goes.
1953 4 door Manhattan
1954 2 door Early Special

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
A good flush on an older car is always a good idea.  Actually 205 - 210 block temp is not really overheating.  An engine will run more effeceintly at higher temps, just don't exceed 230.  Always run a 50/50 antifreeze mixture.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Grandpas car

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 11:42:01 PM »
Hello!! As my name suggests, I am in the midst of helping my dad restore Grandpa's 53 Manhattan. She needs a new water pump and I came across this post. I followed the link posted by Westmorland and the link still goes to a water pump. Before I pull the trigger I wanted to see if anyone had used this for their 53 Manhattan
Thanks!!!

"Finally, I'd like to buy another water pump and water pump gaskets, before I pull the water pump off, in case there's a problem there.  Would this be the right model to buy?    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/replacement-water-pump-fits-54-64-truck-station-wagon-with-6-226"

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 01:34:09 AM »
That is a great price.. You would spend 120. plus shipping.. FYI..  If you rebuilt it..

I have one I may sell but do not know what box it is in..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:46:59 PM by jake »
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
Are you running the current equivilent of the A-7 or the A-5 spark plugs?  A-7's run hotter than the A-5 and that can be part of the problem.  If you go with the A-5 the 226 should run ok if you set timing, etc. per the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer shop mnanual.  Another thing to check.  The 1952-53 Kaiser Supplement Shop Manual (use with the 1951 Book) indicates that for 1953 the temperature sender unit in the block was changed to a higher temp range and the temperature gage was re-calibrated accordingly.  Have you checked this out?

Lastly, for what it's worth, there is a instrument voltage regulator on 1951-53 Kaisers.  When it starts to go out, the temp. gage will give a false higher than actual reading.  I had the problem on my 1951 Kaiser Special Business Coupe.  Car ran ok during the day but showed an overheat condition at night.