Author Topic: National Club Building at the Gilmore  (Read 1248 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
National Club Building at the Gilmore
« on: September 01, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
Hello all-
I was able to go to the Gilmore in Michigan on Friday.  Some of you have been there.  It is a nice campus made up of a main building and several sub buildings on 90 acres.   I remember Jim L bringing up a possible national KF museum a few years ago but I am not sure it got much traction, or progress.  I may be incorrect as I am not in the loop.

It seems to me that the Gilmore would be a good place for a national presence for KF and I am thinking a replica of Willow Cottage would be a good building.  I saw exactly 2 KFs at the museum.  A nice Darrin and a Caribbean Coral Virginian. 

Lincoln and Cadillac, and other organizations have nice buildings these.  I understand KF does not have deep pockets like these clubs.  But I am just putting an idea out there. 

I believe other clubs have some stand alone club headquarters locations such as the A.A.C.A. and maybe Packard.  But what I liked about the Gilmore was that it was inclusive and the club would have more visibility here rather than Willow Run or other locations where people would specifically have to come to US.   At the Gilmore, visitors could be there for the general atmosphere and walk into a building dedicated to KF, some becoming members, some buying KF products or researching further. 

Archives and collectibles could be loaned to the building, as other clubs have done.   Inside, as with other clubs buildings, cars are on display and instead of having 2 random high end KFs in various buildings, the club could/would dictate OUR cars.  So there could be a Henry J or an Allstate, an early slab side, a Dragon, and so on.  Even a Willys. 

One of the aspects of the dedicated buildings I liked was that engines, sub components and dioramas existed in the same space as cars.  Someone could rebuild and provide a supercharged motor on an engine stand.  A special section could be devoted to Carleton Spencer, or other unique aspects of the cars. 

Because the club may not have the resources of larger clubs, we could set the display area for 5 cars, not 20 or more. 

There is a barn that seems to be devoted to orphans, that is where the Virginian is, but the mission of that building is muddy and not clear.  In addition, one of the appeals of the campus are the nostalgic, iconic buildings they have brought in such as the diner, the gas station and Cadillac and the Model A Club built buildings to look like dealerships. 

I was not able to spend much time there, and generally I am not a fan of static car museums.  I prefer driving events.  But if you have to have a museum complex, the Gilmore is a special experience.   

We have a fair amount of older members with nice cars.  But values have decreased for some of them.  Donation to the museum offers a tax incentive to some members and helps to cover maintenance costs after construction.

This model is not specific to the old car hobby.  I am also a Rail Fan, a railroad historian and The Milwaukee Road (Milwaukee Road is a fallen flag railroad based in Milwaukee) Historical Society has underwritten a new building at the Illinois Railroad Museum- a similar Railroad museum to the Gilmore.  It will house the club's archives, have a model train layout and a meeting room. 

KFOCI could choose to hold a national meet at the Gilmore in rotation.  The site is excellent for this purpose.  There is easily enough room for the club's national meets, and Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are near by. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:28:23 PM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: National Club Building at the Gilmore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »
I strongly suggest that anyone even thinking of such a daft plan check out the "standard contract" for those museums.  You have to;

1.  Come up with a building acceptible to the Gilmore people
2.  Pay for 100% of construction, maintenance, expansion and other costs connected with its day to day operation including water, sewer and heating/air conditioning
3.  Agree to give your facility to the Gilmore people after a period of years.  That includes the cars and other contents of the place so they can run it.

I got this information from a friend in the Cadillac/La Salle Club when that organization began solicing funds for the construction of the $4,000,000 or so building that they got "approved".

We already have something of a "smaller scale" in place and it has been for a number of years.  Check out the website for the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Collection.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
I went to their website and I have to agree that there is no sense in moving. BUT I have heard very little about the club's connection to the museum, what we as a club or membership are doing to make it 'our' club headquarters, so to speak. 

Like I said I remember some attempt at raising funds or moving archives there a few years ago, but nothing for a long time now.  Plus there isn't much information about how many KFs are there and an overall theme. 
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
We had considered having an area in the museum but the cost was prohibitive for our club.  The museum is small but very well run and displays everything automotive built in the Ypsilanti area including Hudson, Corvairs, Hydramatic transmissions and has much Kaiser-Frazer material and cars because of the generosity of several Kaiser-Frazer Club members including Barbara and Jack Mueller and the estate of Blanch and Ken Mericle.  Museums are very expensive to run and your visiting and supporting the Ypsilanti Museum will help to insure its future.  It would be wonderful to have our own museum but who would be able to support and maintain one.  A fine private K-F museum is owned and run by club member "Kaiser" Bill Brown at Altonah Utah and a few members have large collections of K-F cars and memorabilia.  Because the club does not have a club archives of its own we have lost out on several large collections that were donated to the AACA or other museums.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:30:53 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »
I've been to both the Gilmore and the Heritage.  While it would be nice to have our own Museum, deep pockets are needed to maintain just a presents.  So many private museums have been closing when the primary donor dies and others left with the responsibility of continued funding find reasons to divert funds and the museums go away!!  They don't have the passion nor the will to continue.  I believe we are placed well at the Heritage and are fortunate to have a nice presents there, it just needs to be better publicized to highlight the Kaiser-Frazer brand.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 06:45:09 PM »
I agree.  It was just a thought I had and the lack of mention of the museum on this forum for quite awhile.
No old cars owned.