Author Topic: '51 Frazer Convertible ???  (Read 3075 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: '51 Frazer Convertible ???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
That 51F isn't as pricey as you would think. That one seems mostly complete and isn't as rusty as some. I owned the last F convert made and it had a 6" round tree growing thru the trunk. I dragged it home and cleaned it up enough to find a ready and willing buyer. For the person who knows that it's the rarest of the rare, and has the talent to do the work himself (thereby saving a small fortune), the car will reap rewards.

I know a fellow trying to sell the same make/model and his isn't as "nice" as this one. He has several interested parties so there are people looking for them.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
Convertibles of any postwar make and vintage go for substantially more than sedans or even hardtops these days.  Of course restoration and maintenance is expensive, especially with a K-F Kaiser or Frazer convertible, thanks to the hydraulic system for the top and windows.  There are also body and chassis issues due to the reinforcement required to build the convertible compared to a sedan.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
Any prospective buyer who really wants a convertible (i. e. not a speculator) would be much better served by finding a restored example for $45K or whatever. How much would it take to buy the car (what is the reserve?) and how much to restore it? Even if someone has the time and talent to do the work themselves, what is their labor worth in terms of ever recovering the investment? On the other hand if one must have a convertible, then the fun and cost are immaterial I guess.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
Indeed, you better be able to have lots of time and the talent to do the work yourself or the car will remain just like in the photos. You just CANNOT get people to work on the cars OR part with parts you need now days.  I've tried three places now since December just trying to get rocker panels worked on one of my '51 Frazer hardtops and time keeps marching on. Impossible to find anyone to rebuild the power window vacuum motor OR the hydraulic one on Nell's '51 convertible that still THREE years later I have yet to find outside door panels chrome or get anyone to come up with a left front vent window frame. And we still need one top bow for the car but none in sight. Note on the ebay convertible front grille emblem....good luck finding one of those!  The taillight lenses might be the best thing on the car what with any available at all exceeding $600. So, power windows I wouldn't consider a plus because they probably won't work anyway and then you got to try to find a parts car with manual windows.....experience talking here.  Good luck to anyone who wants this challenge for what I consider big bucks knowing what it'll take to restore the car AND if it's one of those that worries about the judging scenario, they got a long haul to get there!
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
Doc: My sentiments exactly. I remember people paying $300. for a NOS 51 Frazer hood ornament back in 69 which was a lot of money back then. I had a 51 Frazer 4 door hardtop and parts were scarce at that time. Now it appears much worse, especially for the unique body parts. I sold a mint 52 Kaiser Deluxe in 70 that I miss to this day. This is becoming a hobby for the wealthy only which is sad. I am not a fan of trailer queens, I like to see KF Products on the road. Just my 2 cents opinion.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
You are always way ahead to buy a restored car rather than to try to restore one.  Parts are getting harder and harder to find every year and many nice cars get turned into parts cars for some of the scarcer model parts.  I think that we would see a lot more cars at the meets if the time of the year for the meet is chosen more carefully.  Having a meet where the member has to drive thru 106 degree heat to get there is certainly discouraging for all of the car owners that do not have a V-8 and air conditioning.  That was why we had twenty trailers in the parking lot at the meet last monthand only about twenty eight cars.  I would be happy to go to a National Meet in February.  The meets do not have to be in the heat of the summer.  Most of us are retired and nice weather for a trip to the meet would be a real treat!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
And you're right, Fid, it IS nice here in Texas in February (nicer in March).  100+ the past week and more to come, with humidity.