Author Topic: Ticking noise in engine and # 6 only reading 77 #s  (Read 1048 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ticking noise in engine and # 6 only reading 77 #s
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
It is a new overhaul by Ed Ewing and has only 500 miles on the overhaul. How do i find if it is a broken ring, Sticking  valve or other  item, also there is a putt put at the exhaust pipe while checking and dark soot on white paper held by pipe.??

dogwalkfinds

• View Profile
    • dogwalkfinds
    • Email
Re: Ticking noise in engine and # 6 only reading 77 #s
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
Hard to diagnose on just that, but I would guess stuck (or badly adjusted) exhaust valve on #6. I'd expect better compression on a fresh overhaul even if rings were broken. If it were me I would take off the valve cover and see what's up with #6 valves.
If you're near zip 12546, stop by and I'll assist.
'48 Frazer
'50 Dodge truck
'53 Plymouth
dogwalkfinds.blogspot.com

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
Ditto on the exhaust valve being suspect from the noises described. First guess on the soot is an over rich mixture.

Sometimes quirky stuff happens to everyone so just stick with it and get it sorted out or you'll never be happy with it. My new rebuild resulted in another full teardown after just a few minutes of running time. A little more time & out of pocket but I'm satisfied now.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
Thanks for the input,  ran the engine today noticed the reading stayed at 80 psi but the put put at the tail pipe has not remained constant, it is quiet at times so a stuck valve is suspect as you said.