Author Topic: Used tires - suggestions  (Read 967 times)

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
Used tires - suggestions
« on: August 01, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »
Any one know where I can buy old used tires.  Have lots of cars I want to sell, some basket cases and some much better.  Most don't have functioning tires.  I would like to obtain some used tires, not to drive on, just to be able to move the cars around easier in the storage building.  They can be bald.  Don't want to buy new tires.  Will buy new tubes.  Anyone have any ideas where I can find some.  I'm talking mostly late '20s and early '30s so 6.0 x 16, 6.0 x 18, 6.0 x 20.
Thanks,
Carl Eidsness
1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Used tires - suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:49:50 PM »
Hi Carl, I have many 15 and 16 inch and a few older but they are in my garage in Missouri and you are in Montana.  It would cost more to ship them than they are worth unless you are a traveling man.  I could bring a load to the National meet in Oregon next year if I had a list of exactly what need.  I am sure that the major old tire sellers also have used tires in stock but then again higher prices and shipping would be expensive.  I thought that that I was going to live forever and have saved four tire racks full of old tires and stacks of old wheels and accessories.  Many for Ford.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:47:53 PM »
A lot of tire retailers are getting as far away as they can from the used tire thing.  Federal guidelines say that cars and trucks should not have tires with manufacturing dates on them more than 10 years from date of manufacturer, reguardless of tread and sidewall conditions.  Further, many chain retailers are discounting the current stuff (the radials) after 6 years and writing the tires off after 8 years.  I know this as one of the biggest chain retailers in America does that as company policy.

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 07:30:09 AM »
Thank you both for responding.  I can understand the federal policy, they don't want those tires being used on the road.  That doesn't fit my case as I only want to use them to more easily move vehicles around in my Quonset building at about a half a mile an hour!  But as so often is the case a rule made for all ends up hurting the ones it doesn't fit.

Gordie, what are you doing with a garage in Missouri  if you live in California?  If you are planning to go to Missouri on your way to the national maybe you could just drop them off in Montana on your way by?  Just kidding.  You are right about freight and traveling.  I have no intention of traveling to Missouri any time soon.  Have to drive next week to TX again to pick up a car from John Hewlett and to WI next summer, all more than I like.  What town in Missouri?  If I find anyone going that way maybe I can work something out.  Would of course contact you if I do.  Not likely, but one never knows.
1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »
Hi Carl,  I thought that I was going to live in MO part time and bought some buildings there but it did not work out for me but I had moved my car collection and parts and they are still there but I am slowly selling most of it.  Once I get everything into one building I would like to have an auction and sell it all.  I have found aged radial tires very dangerous as they lose their treads at speed, however bias ply tires can be fifty years old and not lose there strength.  There are many used tire shops that thrive in the Los Angeles area selling old radials and truck tires but of course they rarely get tires for cars of the thirties and forties.  Those most likely to have held on to old tire cores are old car owners who you can contact through the various car clubs.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom