Author Topic: 54 Manhattan Paint for the dash  (Read 2913 times)

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan Paint for the dash
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:03:27 PM »
Now since I have the dash completely torn apart, due to a bad speedometer, I need to repaint the dash. What did the factory do: paint the dash with a flat color or did they use the body color? My exterior paint is Blue Comet Metallic and the dash appears to be the same. Next question is should I repaint the dash with enamel or use base coat and clear coat? The dash pad will be replaced with new material from SMS interiors. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 54 Manhattan Paint for the dash
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »
The dash was painted using the same paint as the exterior. My 54 is Blue Comet metallic and the dash is the same. I would venture to guess that whatever you use to paint the exterior, use the same for the dash.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
What paint did you use, enamel, clear coat?
I received a quote today from Bob's Speedometer in Howell, MI to repair my seized speedo, $285. WOW, does this seem excessive?

Don C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
 8)I have repaied a couple of stuck speedomeres if you pay the shipping I give yours a try.

Don Chamberlain #2320
226 Westover Drive
Yakima ,Wa 98908
509-966-1247
Don C
Yakima, WA
1947 Frazer
KFOCI member since 1972

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:30 PM »
The dash in mine did not need repainted...it's in excellent condition as-is.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »
My car's dash/instrument cluster was painted Blue Comet Metallic, I used a base coat and a clear coat finish. Ref:http://picasaweb.google.com/Edwall.Reunion/Kaiser#

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »
I did send my speedometer to Bob's, it was repaired and I have it already. Thankyou for the offer of trying to repair it for me. And for paint I will use enamel. It might be a nice contrast to the exterior which will be base coat clear coat. Since I have never had a Kaiser before this is a learning experience. I have restored my 68 GTO to Concours Gold standard and this Kaiser is more of a challange than I thought it would be. It's a good thing that when I'm working on the car it relaxes me.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:15 PM »
OK now I have hit a problem with the painting. There is a white or a variation of it above the radio and glove box. It is about an inch wide and the length of the dash. What is the color or the color code so I can get the right paint? The dash will be Blue Comet Metallic.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »
Kaiser Kid,

I think that is actually tape. It is a turn silver foil tape. You can get something quite close from the web address below. You need to buy 2" wide as you will fold some of the tape over the back edge of the dash. Also it is a little over 1" wide area showing.

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Tape-Brothers-Small-Engine-Turn-Silver-2-x10-yards-p/tt812sets2x10.htm

Hope this helps.

1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »
What about the engine paint for the 54? I've heard that it's a maroon color. Is that so, and where do I get it from and what is the code?