Author Topic: New Windshield Installed on #3  (Read 885 times)

324darrin

• View Profile
    • Email
New Windshield Installed on #3
« on: January 16, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »
I finally worked up the courage to replace the broken windshield on the Darrin. I bought a replacement about two years ago and it was time. The removal from the car was pretty straight forward but seating the new glass in the channels was something else. I received lots of advice from members and my local glass shop where I purchased 14 feet of 1/16" glass setting tape. Try as I might there was no way to get that glass into the channel. When I found myself thinking about using a pipe clamp I took a break to rethink the process. What I came up with was pretty simple. I had a roll of 3M rubberized tape 2" wide that is 10 mils thick. I applied three strips around the entire perimeter of the windshield which gave me a good cushion between the glass and the channel. It went on pretty easily after that and with the help of my son and brother, we got the assembly back in the car in about half an hour. Six arms are the minimum necessary to hold everything in place and get the fasteners in the holes. I tightened everything up after I took them to lunch in appreciation for their assistance. Now on to replacing the dash and upholstery. Steve 
Currently
1954 Darrin
1965 F250
1967 Galaxie 500 2dr HT
1949 EL Harley Davidson
Formerly
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Coupe
1947 Buick Super 4dr
1959 MGA
1961 Chevrolet Belair 2dr
1966 Ford Econoline
1967 Ford Econoline

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: New Windshield Installed on #3
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »
I, too, am trying to work up the courage to replace my cracked windshield. I have a new upper and lower frame so I won't have to reuse the rusted units now in the car. Question - did you remove the dash or work around it?

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
Let me know when you’ll be doing it! I’ll be over😎
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

324darrin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 02:02:46 AM »
 The dash had to come loose. There are 11 countersunk machine screws holding it on to an inner lower aluminum angle support that has to come out. I was able to just pull it back on the steering column a few inches which required disconnecting  some wiring and the oil line to the gauge.
Currently
1954 Darrin
1965 F250
1967 Galaxie 500 2dr HT
1949 EL Harley Davidson
Formerly
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Coupe
1947 Buick Super 4dr
1959 MGA
1961 Chevrolet Belair 2dr
1966 Ford Econoline
1967 Ford Econoline

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 10:47:32 AM »
Nice work!
I watched a second generation glass installer (recently retired) use very liberal amounts of spray can foaming glass cleaner to lube everything while installing my Aero windshield & back glass. I did the same when I replaced all the roll up & wing windows when the glass tape seemed too "tacky" to go in the channel. Allowed just enough temporary slip to get everything bedded in.

Good call on the clamp. I offered some rubber padded ones to the glass guy when he was working with the stainless trim. He said that's a no-no.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
To R&R a windshield without removing the dash, one can cut the lower flange of the lower w/s molding at each hole location.  Remove a piece of the lower molding, width slightly larger than the diameter of the hole for the attaching bolts, at each hole location. You will end up the lower molding with a series of long cuts at each hole location. That way, one can start the bolts holding the dash in place and merely slide the w/s assembly into position.