Author Topic: Early Style radio on ebay  (Read 676 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Early Style radio on ebay
« on: January 31, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
I'm posting this topic here as opposed to the Parts for Sale category because my question does not pertain to the sale.  This 1947/48 radio is currently for sale on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiser-Frazer-1947-48-K-F-200001-General-Electric-230-Car-Radio/143519899273?hash=item216a73de89:g:hMUAAOSwt95eNHtO

and it's rather uncommon compared to others.  Most I've worked on have white numbers on the dial with a tan background. This style has a dial face with blue numbers on a gold background.  The numeral '8' on these will turn red when the manual tuning position is selected, just like the other style but I've always wondered what the difference was. Seems it's likely a change in the way GE manufactured them.  Both styles function the same but the only time I ever saw this style in a car it was a 1947 Frazer Manhattan.  I thought I read somewhere there was difference between those installed in a Kaiser and those installed in a Frazer and I thought perhaps this was the Frazer style, however, if you look at the pictures it has the plastic push button on it which only the Kaiser used (the Frazer used the center "tooth" on the dashboard to select the preset positions.)  The other thing I noticed about this type with the gold face is the covers (and you can see it in the pics of this ad) are painted with a brown "krinkle" paint whereas the others were plain aluminum.   Does anyone have info or thoughts regarding these 2 different styles of the early radio?  I've found nothing on them so my guess is that GE just decided to change them one day for whatever reason.  I guessing, and it's only a guess, that this was the earlier type.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios