Author Topic: T5 to 226  (Read 1365 times)

KaiserConrad

• View Profile
    • Email
T5 to 226
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »
So I've been researching for quite some time but haven't found anything 100%. I'd like to put a T5 transmission behind the 226. From what I've found, a T5 from a Chevy S10 will bolt to a SM465 bellhousing and there's a company that makes an adapter plate to bolt a Chevy Automatic transmission to the 226.

None of that is 100% though. So my question is does anyone have more information that's conclusive or know anyone I could talk to that's done this swap?

Thanks guys!!

mike

• View Profile
    • Email
i was wondering if you had any luck with adapting the t5 to your 226 i also had the same idea and have a t5 at my fingers   ihave tried  other adapter companies none will get back to me any info would be greatly appreicated.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T5 to 226
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:32:33 AM »
Kaiser offered a Hydramatic from 1951-1955 that bolts right in.  Find a parts car with an automatic and you would have everything you need to go automatic with a 226.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
Find a parts car with an automatic and you would have everything you need to go automatic with a 226.

You'll also need to use the crankshaft from the one with the Hydramatic as it is different from those with a manual trans. Or just replace both engine and trans.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:09:38 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:25:00 AM »
Perhaps I'm incorrect on my interpretation of the original post, but I think he may be talking about replacing the original hydramatic on his model, with the S10 T5...

Not sure why though, as from my research so far the hydramatic seems to be rock solid, and one would be better off replacing the engine that comes before it...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:20:00 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

ForgottenTwoManhattans

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 04:50:35 AM »
Interesting thread. I have not yet had the time to do anything with either of my recently acquired '53s, but I have one Hydramatic car and one three speed manual car. It was said above that the crankshaft is different on the manual trans vs. the automatic - Is this just a minor pilot bushing issue, or a fundamental difference that cannot be corrected easily or at all with the engine assembled?

In regard to the above, the T5 is a manual transmission, so it would seem that acquiring a hydramatic car/parts would not help in that swap.

I continue to contemplate what to do with the drivetrains in my cars. I thought about swapping the hydramatic over from my parts car to the existing manual trans car, but it sounds like I may be swapping the entire engine/trans assembly if I want to make that happen(along with all the other incidentals like the steering column, pedal assembly, etc.).

All that said, I wish I had some advice to offer on the T5 swap, but I'd be very curious to learn whether or not that swap is realistically feasible. I could see that being a very worthwhile upgrade, making the car substantially more daily drivable.

ForgottenTwoManhattans

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 05:01:01 AM »
I found this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0021/2415/2950/files/KW10001_-_Kaiser-Willys_to_Chev_adapter_install_instructions.pdf

The only issue that I see with using this kit with a manual transmission is the lack of any provision for a pilot bushing. If this adapter plate will allow a Chevy automatic flexplate and bellhousing to bolt up, it will also allow a Chevy manual trans and flywheel to bolt up. But you would very likely be on your own as far as making/machining a pilot bushing. In theory, this should not be overly difficult, as you would have all of the dimensions for the adapter plates(for both bellhousing and crankshaft register), and should be able to calculate the appropriate dimensions for a new pilot bushing. You would then have to have someone make such a bushing for you. That might be the toughest part, but really anyone with a decent lathe should be able to do it. Then you would just fabricate an appropriate mount for a hydraulic slave cylinder or clutch cable(unless you want to put in the effort to make the changes required to retain a mechanical linkage - not the direction I would go there).

As far as Chevy automatic flexplates and manual trans flywheels go, they use the same dimensions as one another, so the starter supplied with that kit will properly engage both a flexplate or a flywheel just the same. It looks to me like that kit is shipped with a 168 tooth flexplate. The lack of pilot bushing seems to be the only reason you could not simply bolt up and use a manual trans with that kit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:02:44 AM by ForgottenTwoManhattans »