Author Topic: front seat adjustment front or back ?  (Read 803 times)

y2kbruce

• View Profile
    • Email
front seat adjustment front or back ?
« on: February 21, 2020, 03:32:33 PM »
My 1953 Dragon is supposed to have up to 7 inches of adjustment front to back on the front seat but what is the trick to get it to move ? I don't see any handle to pull on the side of the seat on my car and don't see anything in photos of other Kaisers.

I have not yet got a flashlite out and peeked under the seat. Any 1st hand feedbacks ?

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: front seat adjustment front or back ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 03:51:05 PM »
The handle adjustment is up under the front seat lip.  Approximately, if you were sitting in the drivers seat, reach down toward the floor between your knees and just under the lip of the seat you will find a lever, should have a ivory know on it, and it moves left or right. When it moves you must use your leg muscles to pull or push the seat forward or back.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »
You  may also need to lubricate the moving parts on the car.  Check the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer factory service manual for more info on this; you will find the thing listed on page 263, BODY & SHEET METAL section.   For a 1953 Dragon you will need that book (covers everything not changed as of the 1953 model year) and the 1952-1953 Kaiser Supplement to the big book.  Also, you should have the Orange covered 1951 Kaiser Illustrated parts list and the 1952-1953 Kaiser Parts List supplement

y2kbruce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »
Success!! I got the seat to slide back another 3 inches or so. Now the steering wheel clears my big belly.
Thanks all.

While I was in the front seat I decided to peel back the carpet and checked my Hyd trans for fluid.
I had the engine shut off and the level was slightly below full line.
Later I read in my manual I was supposed to check with engine running so will have to do it again.

Drove to the gas station 1 mile away and test drove the car.
Sloppy steering and trans races sometimes from a stop and on 2 to 3 shift.

I think I have a trans leak so suspect it is low on fluid. Little steps one at a time till summer shows.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
The steering condition you describe is not that unusual for a Kaiser that never had its steering box replaced or adjusted.  Check out the Shop Manual for information on trying to tighten the gearing in the box (pages 191-192 with picture on 192).  Also check out the diagnostics section on pages 200 and 201. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:15:16 PM »
On the top of the steering box is a hex cap that sits atop what looks like a star washer. Remove the cap and the star washer and you’ll see a threaded, slotted stud. Using a screwdriver turn the stud to the right which is tightening the steering gear assembly. Turn it until it stops then back off 1/8 turn. Replace the washer and cap. This should take up some of the loose steering.