Author Topic: What oil should I use for my old car-not just K-F or Willys products  (Read 1024 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Prior to 2017 either the Quaker State oil grade used at Wal-mart Auto Centers in their basic oil change or Shell Rotella had enough trace element zinc (on a Parts Per Million or PPM basis) to be good for older car engines other than high performance products of the 1960's and later.  This would have included K-F and Willys or Jeep vehicles.  During 2017 these two oil brands were re-formulated to "improve" them and bring them up to the current SN standard of the American Petroleum Institute (or API) and zinc along with a few other trace elements needed in older engines were dropped as part of the re-formulation proicess.  This is from the customer service departments of both oil brands (which are owned by Shell aka Royal Dutch Shell Oil).   

This is important for the metalurgy used in older engine blocks and component parts required lubrication with a motor oil having at least 1100 ppm of zinc and other trace elements is needed for proper protection of crankshaft, camshafts and bearings (both types) for engines prior to 1965. 

The classic car sold by Hemmings as well as the VR1 grade of Valvoline oil are two times of oil with at least 1400 PPM of zinc according to the customer service departments of these brands.  At present, I am using 30 weight VR1 in our Henry J Corsair deLuxe; 10W-30 will also work where it gets colder than the Seattle WA area (normally we don't get below 30 degrees F. during the winter).  At last check (about 2 weeks or so ago ) O'Reilly stores were offering the 30 weight on sale at 5.99/quart plus tax with free shipping to one of their stores if they did not have the desired grade in stock-regular price is $7.99/quart plus tax.  Normal "case lot is 6 quarts, and for our HJ a case covers the 5 quarts needed for oil change (per factory shop manual for a 6 cylinder, 4 qts for 4 cylinder:  figures are for cars without oil filter) plus an extra quart if needed. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What oil should I use for my old car-not just K-F or Willys products
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 08:43:56 AM »
Dang...appears that sale is over.  Their website currently has it listed at the $7.99 per QT price...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »
what bout Rotella T1 30W?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
According to the person I talked to at Shell, Rotella was re-forumulated about the same time as the Quaker State was and now has practially no trace zinc or other elements in it.  You can check with their on-line customer service people if you want to confirm it.  Prior to re-formulation, it has around 1150 ppm of zinc which would have been ok.  Shell held higher PPM for as long as they felt necessary as Rotella was used a lot in tractors and other gasoline engine powered farm equipment (combines, water pumps, etc).

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »
Am using Valvoline VR-1 in my Kaiser. Thanks for the update.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

WillysTom1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »
   I am switching my 226 to Brad-Penn 40wt (I am in South Florida no need for lower viscosity) It has a high level of Zinc Phosphate.
 Google the following and see a list of oils that do have high levels.

eatsleepdsmmag.com/brad-penn-penn-1-high-performance-motor-oil
1955 Willys Custom
Former owner of 1951 Kaiser Deluxe, 1951Henry J, 1955 Willys Bermuda

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
I had my Darrin engine rebuilt by a local shop that specializes in Willys 134 and 161 engines - they've done literally dozens of them. They also handle rebuilds for the dirt track crowd and for all of their work, they recommend PennGrade (Brad Penn) oils. I use 30W oil in my Darrin.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »
Based on  Willys-Overland and Willys Motors recommendations in shop manuals, service standards and the lubrication information in owner manuals, 40 weight oil may be a bit much for the L-head and F-head motors used in their products; same for the K-F 226.
You need more force to pump the oil through the system with thicker motor oils. 

The VR-1 from Valvoline is more available in stores across the country than some of the other brands people on the form have mentioned & to some (like me) availability is a significant thing.  As long as the price per quart is around same as the synthetic oil needed for the Impala (2010) it works for me.