Author Topic: Accessing tail light bulbs on a 51 Deluxe  (Read 1585 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Accessing tail light bulbs on a 51 Deluxe
« on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:39 AM »
So, did a search on this, but the only info I could find had to do with the Henry J, where the bezel and lens needs to be removed to access the sockets...

On a Deluxe, can one access the sockets (twist and remove) from within the trunk?  Or do the tail light lenses need to be removed on this model as well, and if so, how?

I know...damn stupid question, but since I took delivery of this car in January I've had it under a car cover since, and now that things are warming up I'm looking to pull the cover and start work on the minor issues I have to deal with...and just want to get my ducks in a row.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accessing tail light bulbs on a 51 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
The light bulbs are accessed from the trunk. Pull the socket out, it may help to use a little tilted downward pressure as you pull backward.  Notice that there is a pattern in the socket hole and socket - the socket tab must line up with housing tab to go back in.  Notice with the light bulb whether the 'pins' are staggered or straight across.  If the pins ARE NOT staggered then you must note which filament  is where as the bulb can be installed incorrectly.  If the pins are staggered then the bulb can go in only one way.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 12:49:57 PM »
Thank you rrd...that's what I was hoping to hear, regarding removing the sockets.

Have new 1154HP bulbs from Octane Lighting...side pins are staggered.

Hopefully it's just the bulbs that need replaced...otherwise time to clean and trace ground issues.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
You Really should have the 1951 Kaiser & Frazer Shop Manual and Illustrated Parts List (orange cover) for your car because you see things like how to change a bulb.  While K-F and Willys cars are easier to work on in many, many ways compared to late model used cars, the how-to part is radically different.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
Here's what it looks like.  You do not need to remove the tail light body as I did in the pic, you just reach around and unsnap the bulb socket from behind.  I had this one out because I just had the tail light bodies replated and was in the process or installing them.  As mentioned by rrdcorvair, the sockets are keyed so they only go in one way.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:33:28 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 12:51:20 AM »

You Really should have the 1951 Kaiser & Frazer Shop Manual and Illustrated Parts List (orange cover) for your car because you see things like how to change a bulb.  While K-F and Willys cars are easier to work on in many, many ways compared to late model used cars, the how-to part is radically different.

I do have the 51 shop manual, and I have copies of the 51 parts and hydramatic manuals en route from Larry.  But sometimes it's easier to understand a process as described by the surgeon, rather than trying to follow it in a copy of Grey's Anatomy.  :)

Fid...many thanks for those pics...most helpful!

Can you tell me where you sent the tail light bodies for replating?  Depending on what I find when I start working on this, I may want to look into having mine replated next winter when I store the car.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:37:18 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 12:36:23 PM »
Can you tell me where you sent the tail light bodies for replating?

I had them done locally by AAA Metal Finishing in  St. Paul, MN.  I don't remember what the total was but they do a lot of work for me and they do a great job.

Phone is 651-228-1418
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:38:42 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
konrad if the pins are straight across compare with the new bulbs and the old one and grind of the pin that is wrong .  that is what i had to do with my 51 to put in the new LED bulbs.
1953 traveler (long gone)
1949 Bermuda tan (still in California not mine)
1953 Manhattan (parts car long gone)
1947 special (modified) Linda's
1953 Carolina my first Hydra-Matic not on road yet
1951 $520.00 delux with whiskey under front seat!

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »
konrad if the pins are straight across compare with the new bulbs and the old one and grind of the pin that is wrong .  that is what i had to do with my 51 to put in the new LED bulbs.

VT...haven't sprung for the LED's yet...on the cheap I went with a box of 10 HP1154s...incandescent...

I haven't quite decided yet if I'm going to switch this car from 6v positive ground to 12v negative, but until I do make that change I'm just gonna go with stock parts.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 02:02:45 PM »
Konrad, 'bumper bob' here, before you go re-plating the 51 tail light housings, I'm downsizing on parts, I had 2 1951's to do and now have just one instead.  I can supply two NOS housings plus two NOS tail light lenses for $100 for the pair (plus shipping) (KF#207375/#207376) (right/left) at the moment.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 08:46:36 AM »
Konrad, 'bumper bob' here, before you go re-plating the 51 tail light housings, I'm downsizing on parts, I had 2 1951's to do and now have just one instead.  I can supply two NOS housings plus two NOS tail light lenses for $100 for the pair (plus shipping) (KF#207375/#207376) (right/left) at the moment.

Hi Bob...I'll take 'em!  However, I won't be able to come up with the funds until later in the month of April, if that works for you?

Of course, if someone else makes you an offer you can't refuse, certainly take it.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
They're yours when you want them.  How about a mailing address while we're at it.  Send it to ldladykf@yahoo.com 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:45 PM »
Uncovered Betsy today and fixed my tail lights, also gave her a nice bath...gonna wax her up tomorrow.

Seems the tail light sockets on this car expect the side pins to be at the same level, not offset.  The reason they weren't working, the passenger side bulb had popped out and was in the bottom of the tail light housing.  Try as I might, I couldn't get one of the newer bulbs to twist in.  Then I checked the old bulb and saw the lower side pin had been ground down smooth, and it appeared the indents for the bulb pin on the sockets were identical in length, suggesting that perhaps older 1154 bulbs did not have the pins offset?

At any rate, both brake and blinker lights working in the rear now...next up, tracing down my wiper problem.  :)

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:37 AM »
suggesting that perhaps older 1154 bulbs did not have the pins offset?

I believe some (at least the parking lights on mine) used 1158 bulbs on which the pins are not offset.  They are however, usually marked with the word "Top" on them indicating which side should be up, or on top, when installed.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 01:21:10 PM »
Parking light bulbs on your car are #63 and the tail lights are 1158.  Old timers know that you can make a 1154 work by filing off one of the tips and that is probably what a previous owner did and because it had only one tip securing the bulb it fell out when the car hit a bump.  The K-F Service Standard book has all of the specifications and sizes of parts used on your Kaiser and it is far more complete than the owners manual.  Jim Betts has most of the books reproduced on his website CircleKaiserFrazer.com
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom