Author Topic: Radial Tires  (Read 838 times)

dannyboy53

• View Profile
    • Email
Radial Tires
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:49:42 PM »
Hi fellow members, I own a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4 door. The car now has Bias 7.10-15 tires. I feel it's time to buy radial tires. Coker Tires gave me a choice of P205 or P215/75R15 with 2 5/8 white walls. I am leaning toward the latter. Would this be appropriate for the vehicle or can someone offer something that is better geared for the car? Any suggestions or answers are most appreciated. Thanks.   Dan, Berthoud CO

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Radial Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »
The 205 size is closest to the 7.10 bias ply tire which available in 1953. There’s quite a lot of talk about using the original rims with radial tires and I’m sure you’ll hear from folks on both sides of the fence.

I’ve used radials without issue with the exception of stiffer steering at slow speeds.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:18:27 PM »
The best way to resolve what's what, contact the Chief Judge as to acceptability.  He's listed in both the Bulletin and the Quarterly in the officers section.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:37:51 PM »
Michelin has a "classic" series of tires they still produce, one being the mid 1960's XAS series sold through Coker, which was an update from their earlier radial. They're relatively narrow tires with a rounded tread that's more slow speed steering "friendly" than modern flat tread radials on non power steering cars. They come blackwall only, and have an unusual tread design you might not like on your vintage car.
I ran them on my Aero in the early 70's and liked them enough to spring for a set on it's current restoration. I wouldn't be too concerned about needing modern "radial" rims, Michelin started making radials (I think) in 1949. As far as I know, they don't reproduce the 50's version superseded by the XAS series.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:56:31 PM »
I put the Coker Classic 2 3/8 Inch Whitewall 205/75R15 on my '53 Manhattan.  I like them, and I think they look just right.  They do make parking lot maneuvering heavier, but the car tracks and steers very well with them.  I did have issues with the wheels flexing a bit so the wheel covers would fall off (very annoying) and with the wheel covers creeping on the wheels;  one actually pushed the valve stem out of the rim (luckily while I was just getting home).  Steel valve stems fixed that problem, and making sure the wheel covers were clamping on really well fixed the falling-off problem.  One wheel needed some duct tape for the wheel cover to hold on to.
So I'd say go for it - radials all the way!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 06:37:37 AM »
I have Diamondback classic radials on my HJ
soften my ride on RTE 66 all the way to CA
I traveled a lot of the original alignment..gravel, crushed concrete and miles of dirt
popped a lot of hub caps