Author Topic: Darrin # 390  (Read 939 times)

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Darrin # 390
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
This Darrin that went on the selling block recently in Minnesota was #390.    Wayne Stow, who lives in Minneapolis went to see the car and sent me 45 pictures and asked my opinion on it.   Even with the NEW Hood, Drivers Door, Trunk Lid, Dashboard and various other new parts, I told him it wasn't worth it for him.  Way too much missing to put it back together.   

The former owner was doing strange things to this car.   He cut off all the side bracing (put in a box) and welded new ones on the frame.  He also cut the body right in front of the rear door latch area on both sides.  The pictures did not show if it went all the way across.   There was an original engine and trans along with a period correct Olds engine and 4 speed hydromatic trans.    For what came with it, it would have made a reasonable parts car for what was paid.  If the engines and transmissions were good along with the new parts, I think the buyer made a decent deal.  If the purchaser is going to try to put this car together, good luck finding the missing parts. like windshield posts, door latches etc!

I have more pictures if anyone is interested.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Darrin # 390
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:58:21 PM »
While I didn't attend the auction, I did entertain the thought of bidding online but bids soon exceeded my limit so I watched it sell to someone else. Phil, your assessment is spot on, probably a fair buy for someone needing a parts car, but to restore, it's going to take a lot of work - the body is cracked, splintered and cut in several places, not to mention modified at the tail end.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 09:50:18 PM »
I had my eye on the '53 Manhattan that was at this auction that was about 40 minutes from me.  After buying the Allstate, I did not go after it.
Did anyone hear what it sold for? 
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MAG473

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:13 PM »
The 53 sold for 5200 + 10%