Author Topic: 51 Kaiser front speaker  (Read 891 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Kaiser front speaker
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
Haven't had the chance to remove the speaker grill on my 51 Deluxe yet to measure, and neither the shop manual nor parts list for the 51s list this...but what is the size of the front speaker?

Is it a 6x9?  or some other size?
51 Kaiser Deluxe

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Kaiser front speaker
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Most of the Time the Front Speaker OK because the Sun hasn’t Baked it Dry like the Back One. Don’t hurt to Check. 
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »
I'm actually intending to replace the front speaker with something more modern at some point.  My eventual intent is to have my radio rebuilt by Vintage Audio in a 4 x 45 watt am/fm with line in mini-jack and separate volume control for the B channel speaker channels.  I want to put some surface mount left/right speakers on the package shelf, and connect the front speaker in a hafler circuit.  Wife and I are going to a couple of audio shops this weekend, and since single speakers can only usually be purchased as a close out (other speaker was somehow damaged) I'm hoping to pick up the correct size speaker at a significant discount.

Hence my question as to its dimensions....
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 05:20:17 PM »
The Parts List for the radio (there were 3 different P/N's only one compatable with all 1951/52 Virginian Kaisers) came with the radio installation kit.  Since you've indicated the plan is for an updated custom radio package in the vehicle replacing the old stuff (which did not product the sound quality of today's high-quality radios, amplifiers and speakers) let the experts figure this out. 

PS:  remember, you have a hook-up problem if you haven't switched the car over to negative ground, 12 volt system with most currently available stuff.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
The Parts List for the radio (there were 3 different P/N's only one compatable with all 1951/52 Virginian Kaisers) came with the radio installation kit.  Since you've indicated the plan is for an updated custom radio package in the vehicle replacing the old stuff (which did not product the sound quality of today's high-quality radios, amplifiers and speakers) let the experts figure this out. 

PS:  remember, you have a hook-up problem if you haven't switched the car over to negative ground, 12 volt system with most currently available stuff.

Actually, the speakers don't (for the most part) give a damn about what the voltage, wattage, ground is.  It is the duty of the radio or stereo amplifier section to produce the appropriate ohm/watt/voltage output to the speakers, and to manage all issues regarding ground.  Most speakers are either 8, 4 or 2 ohm.  Eight and four are most common in home stereo, four and two most common in car stereo.  The pertinent point is how loud will they sound with the same level of input signal.  Example...a 4 ohm speaker will sound louder at a given volume level than an 8 ohm speaker at that exact same volume level.

But this is all beside the point to the question I'm asking...which is...what is the size of the actual front speaker in a 51?  Is it 6x9, 6x8...some other size?

I want to know what size of modern speaker I need to look for to replace the original, without having to make some modifications to either stuff it in, or brackets to hold a smaller speaker in a larger mounting spot...

For some reason that info is not found in the parts or shop manual...likely because it was an add on accessory...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:58:17 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »
Here's a picture from the early 1951 Kaiser radio supplied by GE (Later ones are Delco.)  This is from the 100144 factory KF kit which allowed this type of radio to be installed in the early '51 Kaisers.  This pic shows a 6x9 oval which would have been my guess but my car is not here right now to verify.  Also a pic of the actual bracket and speaker indicates 6x9 oval.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:04:01 AM »
Perfect!

Thank you Fid.  I would have guessed 6x9 as that was fairly common for many years across multiple auto brands...but then, KF did things a bit differently on some occasions.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe