Author Topic: wheels and tires for my 49 Kaiser  (Read 2214 times)

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
wheels and tires for my 49 Kaiser
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:20:16 AM »
Now that I have my Studebakers all sorted, it is time to upgrade the Kaiser. The original wheels are in quite good nick, not rusted or banged about, but they are OLD. I also want to change from bias to radials. ISTR that certain Chrysler rims from a junkyard ie new unused are likely NLA-- are a direct fit. There is also the issue of nuts as well (just like Studebaker) is there not? I want to run the larger end of the tire spectrum ie the size on convertibles or Dragons etc, not the Specials. For comparison, I runs 215/75/R15 on my Studebakers, and tires fit perfectly on the cars on more modern Ford wider rims AND provide the more or less correct ride height that 205 or 195 don't (so they aren't as narrow as the original tires, not a biggie)

I'm not going to spend $$$$ just to get the right repro tire imprint and wide white wall especially in bias, even blackwall is okay with me--it is a Special, after all. Rims have to be safe for radials, and radials it must be.

Suggestions all?
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wheels and tires for my 49 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
The Chrysler bolt pattern is correct for Kaiser-Frazer cars, given the same size rims.  Radials need the radial type rims.  As long as you are not out to get judging points at a National Convention, brand and so on may not be that important as long as they are good tires.  Be careful with the back tires and clearances if you go wider than 205

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:35:45 PM »
The Ford rims will work if you drill a hole for the pin that is on the Kaiser drum. Some have knocked or ground the pin off of the drum. The lugs are bolts so make sure the rims have the chamfer hole for the bolt to properly seat. I put 205X70 radials on my 52 Virginian using the stock rims and they work fine. You have to jack the back up under the frame to get the tire to clear the rear wheel well.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:08:45 AM »
Ah, much as I thought. My only prior experience is with the later 51-55 bodies, not the 47-50 bodies. i take it by useful Chrysler wheels, anything in the 15 x 5 size that were found on the Diplomats and similar rear wheel drive, possibly including Dodge vans? I already have that problem with the Studebakers, especially on the rear, where they have to be jacked higher than usual in order for the tires/wheels to clear. Fit perfectly without clearance issues front and rear once the tires and rims are on. I have an interesting and informative photo of the difference in sizes bias versus radials, on rims. 6.70 compared to 215, 205 and 195/75R15, all side by side in a row (80kb). Don't have photo hosting for the picture, but I could email it to someone who has. With a Special without overdrive, every little fraction of an inch in diameter counts as far as highway drivability.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard