Author Topic: Update on #81  (Read 2889 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Update on #81
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »
Where did you obtain your vent hose?

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 04:22:14 PM »
There is a Corvette restoration shop with available parts near me.  These are cloth 4" tubes that fit early Corvettes and fill the restoration requirements for them.   However, they are too short for our use, so I had to buy three.   On the passenger side it was about 1' short, just perfect for the seam to fit under the Bracket.  I used a 4" drier vent, cut to three or four inches and fit (slid) the one whole one and the one cut one, then covered the seam with cloth medical bandage tape sprayed flat black.  I glued the ends of the tape so it would not come off.

On the Drivers side, the vent tube was about 1 1/2' too short, so you can see the seam just below the bracket.  I don't think anyone will notice, would you????

I used JB Welded T-nuts for the bracket screws.  I saw no sense to having nuts that could only to accessed when the doors were off, if I needed to take the vent brackets off.   My doors are still off and the heater is out until the upholsterer finishes the top, trunk, rugs and inside of the cars.   He already did the dash, seats and door panels.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
I bought four foot lengths of flexible hose from Corvette Central and they fit without any modification. Installing the hose and brackets might seem an easy job but I’m here to tell you that it was not. But it’s done and looks good. Now, all I need is some warm weather...

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 10:31:37 PM »
That's awesome.   The ones I purchased came pre-cut otherwise I would have done that as well.  And, yes, trying to put them in when the car is together is a pain.  I put mine in before I attached the body to the car.  Now I am looking at removing the front of the passenger side, to allow access to align the front suspension.   It is a very tight fit.
54 Darrin # 81

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Just took my Darrin out for a test drive around the block, first time its been on the road since January 2015.  It sure is nice to be back behind the wheel again!!  There is something different about driving these cars verses any other Kaiser/Frazer. Different ride and feel, maybe its the length and lightness of the car.

Will keep you all informed about the rest.

Now that the car will be done within the month all the car show have cancelled.  No place to go!!  However, I will drive it around as I do the other cars I have.
54 Darrin # 81

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
You do realize that car didn’t look that good when it was new!

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 05:44:51 PM »
Yes, I do.  I stopped twice to talk with people just going around the block.  I love the way this car stops traffic!!!
54 Darrin # 81

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »
On my way to the upholsterers!!  Yea!!   When it comes back, I will just need to add the cosmetic stuff and the bumpers and it will be done!!!!   All dressed up and no where to go.........

I will just drive it around town, it'll stop traffic where ever I go.
54 Darrin # 81

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
Here's the latest!   Trunk carpet is done and the interior is almost done.   The convertible top starts on Monday.

I went with black carpet because I didn't see any red carpet that looked good.   The black, white and red really pops.

54 Darrin # 81

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 10:35:26 AM »
I'm basically done, just need to do a few clean-up items.  The Horn will be the last thing I do.

On the Front picture, I chose two rectangular mirrors from a 1958 Ford T-Bird.   I like the look!

The Passenger side is self explanatory.

The Rear view, I was fortunate to find a license plate frame from Kaiser Motors California.

The Drivers side shows the pocket door feature that make this car look great but is a pain to enter or exit. 

When I get back from my 3 week trip around the midwest, I will return my Darrin to the upholsterer to put the top on.  He wouldn't do it without the doors installed, which I agreed to.

It's been a long, long road and it is done with no where to go.  Out governor just shut down more of our state, again.
54 Darrin # 81