Author Topic: Hydramatic seals on a 51 Deluxe  (Read 1235 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Hydramatic seals on a 51 Deluxe
« on: June 21, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »
So, I have a very slow leak from the hydramatic on my 51...based on observation I'm inferring it's the seals...older and drying out.

Found this seal kit online:

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H105C

Can anyone tell me if this kit is what I need?  Of course I understand the majority of the cost will come in tearing the thing apart to replace them...that's a given.  But before I take it in to have that work done, I need to make sure I have the correct seals.  In this regard, it is fortuitous that KF decided to use the popular hydramatic.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Hydramatic seals on a 51 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 07:07:24 AM »
Is your transmission leaking up front by the fluid coupling or at the rear by the drive shaft? If t's the former, the unit will need to be torn down to replace the seal because it's installed from inside the case. If it's the latter, that can easily be done by simply removing the driveshaft.

If the transmission needs to come out, then a rebuild would make sense. This company carries everything you'll need.

http://nwtparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 03:11:15 PM »
It appears to have a very slow leak at both ends.

Many thanks for the link!

Edited to add...the transmission shifts flawlessly.  There's not even a 'clunk' when shifting into park after shutting off the engine.

I don't believe the tranny needs a rebuild, just new seals as the older ones have dried up causing leaks at both ends...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:14:43 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
Just a suggestion. I have used transmission additives that softens and rejuvenates seals in older farm tractors. Not sure how well it works in older car transmissions. Has anyone tried a similar product in their Kaiser's transmission?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:12:04 PM by custom »
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 09:16:25 PM »
That selector shaft seal kit shown is for where the shift mechanism goes into the driver side of the transmission. The front and rear seals are sold separately and may even be available from NAPA. Fel pro makes a bottom pan gasket. Sometimes these transmissions leak due to disuse; Driving it might make it leak less.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
That selector shaft seal kit shown is for where the shift mechanism goes into the driver side of the transmission. The front and rear seals are sold separately and may even be available from NAPA. Fel pro makes a bottom pan gasket. Sometimes these transmissions leak due to disuse; Driving it might make it leak less.

I had considered that as well.  Next week I'll be having another go at changing the oil and installing my new Fram filter container.  Once I have that done, mama and I will be taking Betsy on some shorter trips to start, then a bit longer ones as long as all goes well.  After a few of those, and monitoring the trans fluid level of course, I'll reassess.  :)

Thank you rialto!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »
Just a suggestion. I have used transmission additives that softens and rejuvenates seals in older farm tractors. Not sure how well it works in older car transmissions. Has anyone tried a similar product in their Kaiser's transmission?

Curious as to what you may have used in the past...specific product?

While in general I eschew such additives as being 'snake oil', I have had some limited luck with such additives for a radiator leak in the distant past, though the seal was only temporary and the radiator still had to be replaced a couple of months later.

Anyone else have any positive experiences with such tranny (non-***ual) additives?  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
Been there, tried stop-leak additives, didn't work. The original seals used a leather face and with use they will swell and possibly provide a better seal however, some 70 years later chances are they will need replaced sooner than later. I'd just drive the car and if the leak is minor just keep an eye on the fluid level and enjoy the car as-is. It's all part of old car ownership!