Author Topic: 51 Frazer shifter knob  (Read 1544 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
51 Frazer shifter knob
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
I am loooking for a shifter knob for a 51 Frazer. Does anyone have any idea what else woud work? I have seen some knobs made for post war Studebakers and other products, but don't know if the tread and size are the same. I am open to anything that would fit and ook good IF I can't find a NOS or replacement for the 51. Just curious, is this something others have needed and perhaps can be made for the manufacturing fund?
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Frazer shifter knob
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »
I don't know where you might find a replacement but I do know the shift knob from the 1947/48 cars will fit and work. We had one on a '51 Frazer for years till we eventually found the correct one. If you can't find the correct one, one of those will work.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
There are three versions of shift knobs for the 51F. The first is a large ivory unit that was used on the standard shift sedans. The second was a unit that appeared on the Manhattans and was color coordinated with the interior and also sported a stainless steel band around it. For the hydramatic cars, they got the same knob as the 51 Kaiser. The latter is available from a few different club vendors, however, the first two will be harder to find. Looking in the 49 parts book, there are no fewer than 8 different knobs available.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
Thanks for the information. The one I am looking for is for a Manhattan Green car with brown leather interior ( ? ). The car actually isn't mine, but a friends, he told me it crumbled in his hand a few weeks ago, so I am trying to find one for him. He has the four door hardtop. Anyone have one of the earlier ones for a 48 I can get? The actual with the chrome ring around it would be best, but for now one that works is better then nothing.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door