Author Topic: Carter double barrel carburetor  (Read 922 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Carter double barrel carburetor
« on: September 29, 2020, 02:28:43 PM »
I believe some models of KF vehicles came with a carter double barrel as standard?  Am I correct in inferring using a double barrel carb would increase engine power somewhat?

Does anyone know the Carter model number for the one used, and who might  have one for sale?  Also, are there any restrictions to using one on a 226 engine currently using the more typical single barrel carb?

Many thanks guys!!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Carter double barrel carburetor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »
Your car is a 51 Kaiser, correct? If so, then it already has a two barrel carburetor on it as standard factory equipment. All full size 1951-55 Kaisers were equipped with two barrel Carter carburetors from the factory.

The carb might look like a one barrel since there's just a single throat at the top, but it is a two barrel unit.

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »
Your carb should be a Carter 781s.  BTW, how bad is your trunk mat?  I just removed one from a 52 Manhattan I am redoing and I have a NOS one to install.  The cover over the tire well is pretty much toast but the rest of the cover is decent. ( I had to laugh at your posting looking for one as we had just wrapped up the trans rebuilding kit..and then the post.)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:01:33 PM by rrdcorvair »

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:39:32 PM »
Joe, you are correct as I did believe my current carb was a single barrel...I was visually comparing it with the single barrel carb on my old 62 plymouth with 225 slant six engine and was sure it (the 51 Kaiser's) was single also.  Many thanks for the clarification.

Bob...the mat in my trunk has seen better years, but will do for now.  Always the optimist, I will be looking for sources of parts for this car as an index as to what I may be able to get in the future, regardless if I can pay for it now or not.  :)

I have many plans for this beastie as to upgrades/refurbishment going forward, with time and funding issues being my mortal enemies.  But...one does not retreat from mortal enemies, does one?

Willow Run KF has replacement tire well mats available (that part only, not the rest of the trunk mat)...$80 on an Ebay listing that they sent me in email in reply to that thread...let me know if you want the Ebay link.  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:38:08 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
The dual-manifold 226 engin e (used in ALL 1951 and later Kaisers) had 2 different carbs.  the 781S two-barrel was the one usually used on 1951 and 1952 model year cars.   There should be a small diamond shaped metal tag on the carburetor with the model number.  Repair kits are available but stick with the kit that has neophreme seals an fittings rather than rubber or cork as these two materials are not compatable with ethanol fues.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:50:41 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 12:13:14 AM »
The other carb Jack mentions is the Carter 999, found on a few 1952's mostly 1953's.  I do have current rebuild kits for these and also know a very excellent carb rebuilder in Long Island, NY, Larry Isgro.
   Yes please the ebay listing, I'd rather use just the well cover than using a whole trunk liner set.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:01 PM »
Thanks...and bought one.