Author Topic: Adjusting cam for front brake  (Read 5471 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjusting cam for front brake
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »
I am looking for the adjusting cam that is on the front passenger side brake shoe support plate.  It would be the one on the right hand side of the plate as you are looking at it.  I also need to nut that goes on the back.  My e-mail is: muddytj@hotmail.com  Thanks!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Adjusting cam for front brake
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
The adjusting cams are all the same...front and back...for all 4 wheels. Luckily, they are also the same as used on most Jeep trucks, wagons and Jeepsters from 1947 thru the mid 50s.

Ron at kaiserwillys.com has what you need -> http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/f/2588

I suggest buying a spare or two. As you adjust the others, I'm sure you'll find that they're either stuck or rusted too!

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:33:39 PM »
Thanks!  Are the brake hoses, wheel cylinders and master cylinders the same as well?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:11:59 AM »
No, the hoses, wheel and master cylinders are different.

The hoses are available thru Auto Zone.

The master cylinder can be found on ebay and there are KF club vendors who have them too. The 47-50K and F used the same cylinder as the 60s-70s Cushman trucksters so if there's a Cushman dealer near you, they'll have it. Take your old one to match as the mount hole sizes do differ.

The wheel cylinders are harder to find. The rears are available at places like NAPA but the fronts are getting scarce. KF club vendors should have them.

Brake shoes are also available at NAPA and run about $27 a set of four.

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:26:12 AM »
For the front brake hoses, I tried to use the Wagner part no. that Kaiser Bill had on his comprehensive list of KF parts and my local parts store said they don't have it in their book.  Any idea what part no. I would need for the brake hoses either there or at Auto Zone?  Also, any tips on getting the top off the master cylinder?  It seems pretty stuck.  Thanks again!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
Ahhh...you must have a cast iron master cylinder with an aluminum cap. Thay will stick very easily. Use plenty of PB Blaster and even more patience. A little coaxing with a socket that fits correctly and you'll eventually win.

The same method would hold true of you have the steel cap too.

The p/n for the front brake hoses is: 88245 (Made by Brakeware)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:35:53 AM »
My local parts store, Parts Plus, has been able to locate a master cylinder, front and rear hoses and front wheel cylinders.  They have not been able to locate the rear wheel cylinders, does anyone have a casting number from the wheel cylinder or part number based on the manufacturer?  The reference number on the Kaiser Willys site does not cross reference with anything in their books.  I would like to purchase these through my guys as they have been extremely helpful and patient throughout this rebuild.  Thanks!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »
The Wagner Lockheed FD8504 should bge the correct rear wheel brake cylinder for all Kaiser and Frazer cars THROUGH 1950 MODEL YEAR. unless you have the slotted brake shoes like Chrysler Corporation cars used back then (1949-50 model run only on these). 

I also came up with information from the Pilot Interchange manual that muddies the water a bit.  Pilot 86S is all rear wheels if you have a 1 inch diameter for the casing at each end.  If the diameter is 13/16" you would use the 135S.  If you have a 7/8" diameter you would use an 87S. 

If you have the 1 inch diameter, it is the same as 1963-64 Dodge Dart FRONT without power brakes, or 1961-62 Dodge Lancer FRONT no power brakes.  Also same as 1960-67 Valliant FRONT without power, 1947-53 Studebaker FRONT. 

87S crosses to 1946-53 Nash Statesman REAR or 1950-53 Studebaker REAR

135S only to 1950-55 Nash Rambler Rear

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »
We really need to start a specific thread for Brake PARTS. In general there is a difference between front and rear brake cylinders for all cars besides the size. Front wheel cylinders usually are connected with a flexible hose that uses a copper washer as a sealing agent. Rear wheel cylinders are connected with steel lines with a double flair at the end of the tubing. The double flair seals against a 'bump' at the bottom of the tapped hole in the wheel cylinder. The system is going to leak if you ignore the type of line that the cylinder is designed.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
There are at least 2 front cylinders that can replace Kaiser parts and neither are exact replacements - meaning you have to buy special front hoses/or a brass adapter fitting or drill a mounting hole. The rear cylinders have not been available for decades and the best known substitution are cylinders from 54-63 Willys Station Wagons and Trucks. These are Left/Right units but you will have to bend the steel lines to the cylinders anyway so it is possible to use 2 Lefts or 2 rights on a car.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
Flexible Brake Lines: There are actually a number of part numbers that the same in fitting sizes and close in length. Most are no longer available or strangely expensive. The cheapest and most easily obtainable front flexible brake line for Kaiser/Frazer/HJ and even Studebakers is one for a 67 Jeep CJ5 with drum brakes.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:06:50 AM »
Thanks for the great information everyone.  I have been on the hunt for these parts for a week now and believe we have it sorted out.  I have ordered the front cylinders and new master cylinder from my local parts store along with the hoses for the front and rear.  The rear wheel cylinders I have purchased through Kaiser Willys as suggested.  I am also replacing all the brake lines as I go along.  Should I put all these parts together successfully, I will let you know what parts I used and where they were purchased if that would help.  Thanks for all the great advice!