Author Topic: NON MEMBER BAN FROM FORUM  (Read 6122 times)

larryk

• View Profile
Re: NON MEMBER BAN FROM FORUM
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
According to the Forum member list, we have over 2700.
How many of those members have "zero" posts?
If they are not taking the time to post, they probably won't be willing to shell out $5.00 for an associate membership.
I don't believe that the proposal will gain much revenue for the club.
Those of us that do post are probably already KFOCI members.

Just my $.02

Larry
'53 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
'63 Chevy Impala (Wife's car)
'73 Datsun 240Z F Prepared autocross
'76 Datsun 280Z
'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
KFOCI # 16269

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
According to the Forum member list, we have over 2700.

Many of those are drive-by members who have come on once and not again.
And a few I know of, ben-ETX to name just one, are long deceased and no one knows to clean that up (and how would they?).
I don't trust most sites.  Just today I got a notification from LinkedIn to congratulate someone on a work anniversary for working at a company that person has not worked at for over 5 years! If they don't update their profile, the false information spreads. I also get notifications on FB informing me that one of my long deceased relatives has a birthday today and to send them good wishes!  Again, if no one takes the site down after the person dies, the misleading false information spreads.   I'm not blaming anyone or the moderator - if they don't know, they know.

2700  registered users?  I've been using this forum for over 15 years and it's my observation that there's maybe 2 dozen at the most that are active and most of them are current KFOC members.

As I've stated, I have acquired many good parts and KF memorbilia, put many buyers in contact with sellers from the drive by posters and the officers want to take that away.

I pay my dues and I benefit from the drive-bys but apparently the officers of the club feel I should no longer be able to. I don't understand that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:29:39 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
Don't beat up our club officers who do a fine job for us and the club as I am sure that they were not aware of President Mike Neubeker's decision.  Usually these kind of decisions are made annually at the clubs National Meet which of course never happened this year.  I am sure that Mike is now aware of the feelings of many K-F-W owners.

So the club officers were not aware of the club's president's decision...that's not a club...if one person is making the decisions!

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »
  I am reminded of the old saying: "to cut off your nose to spite your face".  That is exactly what will happen if this ban goes into effect. All of these comments should be sent to Barbara to be included in the KFOCI newsletter, print deadline is the 15th of the month.

I am well aware of the comments posted here, so please do NOT send me copies.

ps: I will respond to individual comments here where appropriate.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
So the club officers were not aware of the club's president's decision...

NOT TRUE
Barbara Mueller

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 06:52:12 PM »
It's not really fair to club officers to paint with such a broad brush about reading/being active on the forum.  Not everyone has time to be active on a computer regularly.  Some officers are still working or busy with other projects.  Jack and Barbara are great with the forum, as are Gordie (past president), joefrazer (Jim Lape-past president), Mike McManama (membership secretary), and other past officers.  ( I do think the 'read for free' and active membership for posting is worth a try.)

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate your understanding and support.

There's more to this issue than who has the time to be on here ... we have a wide variety of personalities/ages/interests/availability in this club and the Forum doesn't fill the need for everyone. The "diehards" here don't understand why some prefer Facebook, and some on Facebook can't fathom why you prefer this method. And then there are some on both sites ... plus the newly added YouTube channel. It's "different strokes for different folks"

There are a lot of factors being taken into consideration as we move forward to a new club website. At the top of the list is cost. I am not a computer expert, so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology, but in simple terms the bottom line is this: the Forum program is outdated and the info contained will not migrate to a new platform.  Another factor is the amount of spam applications that our Webmaster has to weed through on a weekly basis, causing delays in the approval of new applicants. When the Forum becomes "members only" that frees up a lot of what Chris has to do, as well as giving new members immediate access.

As for the argument that some people join the Forum only to advertise cars or parts for sale, and we should continue to allow that ... WHY? They have to pay fees on eBay, Craigslist, local newspapers, Car Trader, etc. So asking $5 to be an Associate member is really a bargain, plus they also get free ads in the Bulletin - reaching even more members.

If you want support from the club, you need to support the club.

I know this does not address all your complaints, or explain other factors that are under consideration, but I hope it gives you a little insight.  If you still wish to express your opposition, contact your Region Manager and/or Division Director, or send a group email to the officers: President@kfclub.com, VP@kfclub.com, Secretary@kfclub.com, Treasurer@kfclub.com

ps: free Forum access does not always encourage club membership - Jim Lape, past President & active Forum user, is a not a club member
Barbara Mueller

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »

NOT TRUE

JUST QUOTING WHAT HAD ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN BY A FORMER CLUB PRESIDENT !!!

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »
The Forum should be left open.  KFOCI membership should be optional.

Maybe the new platform should require a new sign up which will purge deceased members and those who have moved on to other interests?

I also like the KFOCI Members Only section for access to documents like the Handbook, etc. A $5 Associates Membership is access to this tied to membership dues.  Locked out of this section if membership not renewed. Have a symbol beside members name to indicate active KFOCI membership.

KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »

NOT TRUE

JUST QUOTING WHAT HAD ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN BY A FORMER CLUB PRESIDENT !!!

Sorry - I should have quoted both you & Gordie. Mea culpa. Your comment was used because that's where I was when I clicked to reply. But I will be clear right now: you & Gordie are both WRONG. Mike did NOT decide this on his own. It was part of a compromise proposal WE made TOGETHER after reviewing our options for a new website. 
Barbara Mueller

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 11:34:14 PM »
That is interesting.  The immediate past president is supposed to be informed about club business and be able to have input.  The first I heard of it was the Presidents message this month.  The club has certainly heard enough comments about disliking the idea.  We will see what transpires and we will probably live through what ever decision the President makes.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »
I would think a decision of this magnitude should require the approval of the board of directors, of which the immediate past president is a member. According to the club's constitution, Article 4, Section 5, the board has control of the affairs and property of the club, to which the club's website and forum belongs. It appears that has not happened and a decision was made in a vacuum.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
Without belaboring the point why I'm now an "Associate", or going into any of the many excellent ideas last time this was discussed here.......which I assume the full Board would want to read for themselves............I have one suggestion.

I think the Associate membership should cost double, the current $5 is too low.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

dogwalkfinds

• View Profile
    • dogwalkfinds
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
You guys are kidding, right?
KF cars are great fun - remember? Limiting access to info will not help your cause.
Please keep the forum open to those of us who enjoy learning but don't enjoy committees.
'48 Frazer
'50 Dodge truck
'53 Plymouth
dogwalkfinds.blogspot.com

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
I would think a decision of this magnitude should require the approval of the board of directors, of which the immediate past president is a member. According to the club's constitution, Article 4, Section 5, the board has control of the affairs and property of the club, to which the club's website and forum belongs. It appears that has not happened and a decision was made in a vacuum.

Seriously, Jim? Not only has your membership lapsed, but so has your memory: 4 years of you running the club without including the Board in decisions. 
Barbara Mueller

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 12:15:35 AM »
Err...ummm....

Is it just me, or does anyone else sense things have become a bit...tense...here?

I understand the issue is divisive...and I believe perhaps our current political climate has contributed to the level of discord in even this, a forum for a forlorn backwater of automotive history.

If I may...everyone chill...

The forum will flourish or fail, we'll still own and seek info on our KF cars, the world will still whirl on its axis, it will still revolve around the sun, our solar system will still revolve about a central point in the Milky Way and the Milky Way will still revolve about a central point in the universe.

And at no time will any of us be that central point.

Decorum ladies and gentlemen!

We can discuss this subject rationally and objectively, without rancor for peccadilloes past or current...

The current subject is whether banning non-KFOCI members from the forum is a good or bad idea...and it has nothing to do with board wars, infighting, crap flinging or silly songs sung about campfires with smores....am I right?

RIGHT!!!

Now don't make me come back here and separate you children...I"LL DO IT!!!...YOU"LL RIDE IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE MANHATTAN FOR THE NEXT YEAR...DAMN IT!!!

:D
51 Kaiser Deluxe