Author Topic: Automatic transmission question  (Read 1249 times)

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
Automatic transmission question
« on: October 29, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
The hydramatic parts books shows a outer shift lever (in the section 9.725, figure 9-13 item #3) as part number KF209466 for the K52, K53 transmission models, but for the K54 trans model the 1954 parts book has a new number, KF214571.  The shop manual says that the proper shift lever must be used with the transmission model.  I have a 54 model that is giving me trouble shifting.  The lever on it has a casting number, not part number, of 86/181. [the slash mark is where the lever is cut to clamp on a shaft and I can't make out the number there].  I also have parts in a container marked $209466 and #214571 but they have the same casting number and look identical to the parts marked #209466.  Can anyone post a picture of a known later outer shifting lever or what the casting number should be? 

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Automatic transmission question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »
Is you hard to shift the lever hard to move or is it easy to move and the transmission does not change gears?

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 11:58:16 PM »
I've now disconnected the shifting rods and am now shifting the levers by hand.  ( Yes, the car's four wheels are off the ground )  Still the rear tires only spin in reverse, no movement in forward positions.  So it's not the levers, it must be internal.  I would still like to 'see' the difference between those two shifting rods previously mentioned.  I am selling off some of my overstocked parts and I need to know which of these levers might be mis-labeled.

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:26 AM »
It may be the forward band needs adjustment. The adjustment is external to the case. Good luck.

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 12:26:53 AM »
Thanks, these things are what make old cars interesting....try fixing a computer controlled transmission.

Still would like a photo (or description) showing the difference between the 51-53 Kaiser outer shift lever and the 1954 version.

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
Look up 'Charlie Tranny' at circlekf.com.  Sounds like he might be able to help you.

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 12:59:26 AM »
Thanks, but I got an answer that will help.  I have found the casting numbers located on the levers so can now identify the two different levers that are out there for the different year cars. Thanks for all the help.