Author Topic: What would it take to convert to all electric?  (Read 3068 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
What would it take to convert to all electric?
« on: November 10, 2020, 05:16:14 PM »
So what would it take to convert a Kaiser, Frazer, etc., et. al. to full electric?

It appears if current politics play out, that will be the only way to keep any form of older automobile. An end to fossil fuels, gasoline, etc., appears to be the agenda of one side moving forward...so that would demand that anything not Tesla, et. al. be left bereft, rotting in a field somewhere...

Or they will become museum pieces, or destined for the crusher...

I guess it depends on whether there are still patriots of any form left in our country.

How about it...any here?

Personally I think we'll find the revolution will be delayed a bit, but wondering how others here see it.

What do you say about the coming green reset...where nothing oil based is allowed any longer?

Also, give me a head's up on the first new makers of buggy whips!  I'm all about that in my stock portfolio!!  :D
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would it take to convert to all electric?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 06:16:04 PM »
There are insurance salvage yards all over the US and I see Tesla's that have been totaled in quite a large quantity for around $4,000.  You could probably buy one and take off the body and add the Kaiser body depending if the wheel base is similar.  I am not quite that clever but the same thing thing was done With Chevrolet Caprice's so if you could figure out the electronics it would make an interesting Kaiser.  This discussion should have been started in the Modified car section.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:38:41 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

larryk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
All you need is a electric motor, a controller, and batteries,
There is a program on MotorTrend TV (formerly Velocity) called Vintage Voltage.
A company in Wales converts classics to electric.
They make it sound easy, but I'm sure that it is not.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:57:21 PM by larryk »
'53 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
'63 Chevy Impala (Wife's car)
'73 Datsun 240Z F Prepared autocross
'76 Datsun 280Z
'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
KFOCI # 16269

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
There are insurance salvage yards all over the US and I see Tesla's that have been totaled in quite a large quantity for around $4,000.  You could probably buy one and take off the body and add the Kaiser body depending if the wheel base is similar.  I am not quite that clever but the same thing thing was done With Chevrolet Caprice's so if you could figure out the electronics it would make an interesting Kaiser.  This discussion should have been started in the Modified car section.
Well now, that is a very interesting idea indeed........Thanks Gordie!
My first thought was a "nuts  & bolts" conversion buying individual components but that would easily exceed 4k. Now I'm going to have to do some research since my old Malibu is next up on my list to restore and was built up into a pretty hot performing "poor mans" racer with heavy duty & performance parts, many sourced from junkyards. Somehow it would be very fitting for that car to go that route since it will never go back to stock.
Hemmings had a recent article on upcoming factory electric "crate motor" conversions, nice but not cheap. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/10/30/chevys-electric-k5-blazer-is-the-beginning-of-the-ev-crate-motor-era?refer=news&utm_source=edaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-10-30
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 09:26:32 PM »
A Henry J was converted to battery power back around 1970 by a father and son team (last name Templeton) in Illinois.  The car was equipped with a fork lift truck electric motor with 6-volt type 1 case batteries in the engine compartment and trunk.  The car had a top speed of 45 mph and a r ange of 65-90 miles before recharge (which was an overnight thing) depending on speed and terrain (hilly vs. flatlands).  This car was sold by the Templetons only to find out that the buyer wanted the car for body and frame to make a hot rod; they also never got paid for the car.   I got to see this at the first KFOCI National Convention (PA, 1975) both on the road and parked.  No noise which always make me feel uncomfortable.

You need a platform that has a 115 inch wheelbase for the conversion if you're doing it off a 1951-55 Kaiser; consult factory specifications for wheelbases on other possibilities (Henry J, Frazer, etc).  Remember you may be moving a total of 4,000 lbs or more with the electric system and that could cut into performance factors (speed, distance on a charge, etc).  Emisions and safety equipment may be a problem is that some states might license the finished product based on the engine number (which would tie back to make and year the engine was built).  I am not a mechanic or automotive design engineer so could not scope it out but it should be noted that Ford and GM had to start from scratch on the current projects rather than adapt an existing car platform to full electric capability.  If this is not enough, figure that at between 100,000 miles to 150, 000 miles you would have to put in a new battery pack (mileage assumes you would have started out with a brand new pack) on the car.  Unfortunately, these battery packs have a shelf life so even if driven less than 3,000 miles a year, the battery might poop out after 6-8 years.

I am not saying don't do it, but if you do, pick a donor car that would otherwise need major restoration especially on the first try in case the first try develops engineering/construction problems you can't work your way out of.

Regarding the company in Wales (part of Great Britain) that does conversions, I suggest you get a few "testimonials" from car owners to see if they would do the conversion again if they could do it over.  You may be surprised at the answers!

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 11:39:48 PM »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 11:56:13 PM »
Yes, that is the car and as it was converted it did the job but just barely.  I have old postcards of electric cars from 120 years ago that boasted of 150 miles on a charge however they used six to eight batteries.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
Did a little cursory looking around on youtube last night and there's lots of videos & conversions using Tesla components. Weight didn't seem to be an issue, somewhere I saw that a Tesla weighs 5,000 lbs. Also ran across a site that auctions wrecked Teslas all over the country. Seems to be quite an active niche industry.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 11:02:57 AM »
This discussion should have been started in the Modified car section.

You are quite correct about that Gordie...my mistake as, though I follow the posts in that section, I didn't think of it at the time I posted.  I have no objection to this thread being moved there.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
Did a little cursory looking around on youtube last night and there's lots of videos & conversions using Tesla components. Weight didn't seem to be an issue, somewhere I saw that a Tesla weighs 5,000 lbs. Also ran across a site that auctions wrecked Teslas all over the country. Seems to be quite an active niche industry.

I think one of the major weight components in a Tesla is the battery pack, so if it could be done, transposing a Kaiser body to a Tesla chassis would I think get you to the point of at least a 7-9000 lb car...so that may be an issue.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
Teslas are unibody cars, as are most all cars now.  You don't just plop a different body on them.  Real pickups still have a frame.  Perhaps in ten years one will to be able to afford a wrecked electric pickup chassis.  They are just emerging now.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
Teslas are unibody cars, as are most all cars now.  You don't just plop a different body on them.  Real pickups still have a frame.  Perhaps in ten years one will to be able to afford a wrecked electric pickup chassis.  They are just emerging now.
One of the shops on a youtube video was doing "reversable" conversions with individual Tesla components where the car could be easily restored to OEM. The battery packs seem to be modular so there's no set configuration/quantity that must be used. "More than one way to skin a cat" definitely seems to apply after watching a few.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »
Not to be too technical, but those battery packs are quite complicated. The battery packs require a cooling system and a heating system. They are computer controlled and monitored. They are also large and heavy. Just as another point, the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid battery system is 400 volts. Not sure on the Tesla, but probably close. There are some safety protocols that we follow when working on electric vehicles to keep us from getting hurt or killed. Are you sure you want to convert your Kaiser to electric in your back yard/home garage with no technical experience on electric vehicles.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 07:43:49 PM »
 Please, Please, PLEASE do your homework on the current generation of battery packs!!!!  Some are designed to be linked together (for various size vehicles and distance parameters) others are not and may be too small to move a Kaiser or a Frazer.

The more I get into this, the worse the idea seems.  The people writing the encouraging things are dealing with imports or other smaller cars and don't tell you of the complications that arrive with the "conversion.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 10:01:57 AM »
This Merc made quite a stir when it came out, here's the first article that popped up when I searched for it. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/icon-tesla-powered-mercury-hudson-electric-car-first-drive/