Author Topic: F-161 Oil Pickup Tube  (Read 1065 times)

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
F-161 Oil Pickup Tube
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:35:53 AM »
Is there supposed to be any sort of seal between the two pieces of oil pickup tube? Looking for confirmation it's supposed to be like this or help me identify a missing piece or step.

This was a running engine before I tore down, but fit sure seems sloppy - there's at least 1/8" of clearance between the two pieces. Seems like it would just want to suck air instead of oil.

Any help appreciated - Thanks!

LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-161 Oil Pickup Tube
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
Mine was fairly loose too but carries good pressure. I didn't assemble it after cleaning but don't remember a gasket or O ring in the set for it. I'm thinking the whole assembly & joint are submerged with a topped up pan.
I did see that some Jeep engines had similar "wear" parts available, but mine didn't seem to have any wear in them so we just went with them. Don't know if this is any help or not.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

jneely

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-161 Oil Pickup Tube
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »
I'm thinking the whole assembly & joint are submerged with a topped up pan.
This is the important piece I missed just staring at the pickup design out of context - submerged, it doesn't matter if there's not a perfect seal at the pivot joint.

In any case, I found a Kaiser-Willys Blog reference to starving oil due to uncovering the pickup joint. I won't be offroading to encounter severe angles, but for peace of mind..
After some experimenting, I found that a standard -207 size O-ring fits rather well between the tubes. Viton or other oil and high temperature resistant material is required.

https://blog.kaiserwillys.com/checking-the-oil-pickup-screen-connection

LM16094
Willys Aero-Eagles
And a few old Fords