Author Topic: Transmission and rear ended fluids  (Read 996 times)

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Transmission and rear ended fluids
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:17:14 AM »
My car has been sitting for the better part of the last 30 years. I’m confident the transmission and reared fluids are still the original. I would think it’s time to replace them. What fluids should I use? I assume there will be gaskets I will need?

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transmission and rear ended fluids
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 02:19:40 PM »
Can anyone help me?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »
Sorry, Kory I'm not a mechanic.  Normally the past practice was to do it right and replace the panel with new (they are available).  Check with Adam Harder at the club's manufacturing fund.  We didn't re due them (there is a little "lip" on 1951-55 Kaiser panels) but he may be able to help.  His email address and phone number is in the 2020 Membership Directory of the KFOCI, and he's listed each month on KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN as one of the main contact people in the club.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 04:45:46 PM »
Sent him an email. Thanks

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 12:15:06 AM »
I think Jack was thinking the other post asking about sheet metal parts.  Dextron hydramatic fluid is correct for our cars.  [ dextron keeps upgrading, I think it's now Dextron IV or V]  the gaskets that might leak could be the one between the flywheel and transmission, or the rear seal one [where the driveshaft moves in and out].  The rear end should be a high grade gear oil - ask your local auto parts people.  If you have an owners manual it will tell you the weight to use [80/90, 90/140, etc].  If you don't have the manual check the 'Circle KF' site for the owners or shop manual specification pages.  The seals to watch would be the pinion seal, and inner rear axle seals but probably not the gasket at the differential.  If needed, we do have some gaskets, seals, and a Hydramatic rebuild kit.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 08:42:48 AM »
I think Jack was thinking the other post asking about sheet metal parts.  Dextron hydramatic fluid is correct for our cars.  [ dextron keeps upgrading, I think it's now Dextron IV or V]  the gaskets that might leak could be the one between the flywheel and transmission, or the rear seal one [where the driveshaft moves in and out].  The rear end should be a high grade gear oil - ask your local auto parts people.  If you have an owners manual it will tell you the weight to use [80/90, 90/140, etc].  If you don't have the manual check the 'Circle KF' site for the owners or shop manual specification pages.  The seals to watch would be the pinion seal, and inner rear axle seals but probably not the gasket at the differential.  If needed, we do have some gaskets, seals, and a Hydramatic rebuild kit.

car is a stick

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:11:59 AM »
Corvair- that makes sense now. Thought maybe he was talking about dropping the pan on the trans and maybe it was different from the later model trans.