Author Topic: 51 Deluxe firewall tag  (Read 911 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
51 Deluxe firewall tag
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:42:05 AM »
Jack would you be able to decode this firewall tag for me?  My main computer is down and that's where I copied the KFOCI disk...the laptop I'm on doesn't have a dvd drive.  Many thanks!!!

51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Deluxe firewall tag
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:01:06 PM »
You are looking at a later production 1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4-door sedan.  Paint color is Blue Satin high-bake enamel with Blue Satin Richmond and Volta cloth upholstery.  It was built for domestic sale and was factory equipped with Hydra-Matic (should be K-51 transmission type rather than K-50 which went into 1950 calendar year production of the model) and has Accessory Group 9 which, if I am remembering correctly is the same group of options that your car has and includes the plastic steering wheel, electric clock and electric windshield wipers. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:15:05 PM »
Many, many thanks Jack!

I'm helping out the ebay seller of that mis-labeled "Manhattan" that you pointed out was a Deluxe.  I'll pass this info on to him.

Oh, and speaking of the electric clock, when I had my mechanic check out my non-working wipers it turned out the only reason they didn't work was due to a missing ground, which he added.  The next time I had it in I asked him to check out the clock, thinking perhaps it was the same problem.  Turns out the clock had no hot wire...so now I have working clock, as well as the spare I bought from Larry Smith shortly before he passed away...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:25:38 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »
I have a question regarding K-F body tags, and I hope konrad will forgive me for hijacking his thread.

Is there anything on the body tag that ties the tag to the car's serial number? Could a more highly optioned car be 'created' during a restoration by switching tags, installing the tag from a rusted out but more highly optioned car (or more desirable model) onto the car being restored? Of course, the restored car would have to have the color, trim, options, etc added to match the tag.

Don't worry, I'm not planning on doing this!  :)   But is this something to potentially watch out for when purchasing a desirable/rare model K-F, or a highly optioned K-F?

Thanks -- trying to learn more about K-F's!
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
Jack, sent that firewall tag info to the seller, he was very appreciative, though he states this particular car has 3 speed manual with overdrive.  Does that mean an error with the firewall tag, or perhaps it was something the dealer swapped out due to customer demand?

Thanks again for all your help and knowledge!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 05:11:06 PM »
The way the tag is mounted to the firewall (rivet/punch rather than screws) looks like it is the actual original tag with the car.  I went through a source I don't use that often and it stated that in 1951 4 or 6 were used for 3-speed with overdrive, with 1 and 7 referring to Hydra-Matic.

My goof, I'm sorry. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 12:46:20 AM »
The way the tag is mounted to the firewall (rivet/punch rather than screws) looks like it is the actual original tag with the car.  I went through a source I don't use that often and it stated that in 1951 4 or 6 were used for 3-speed with overdrive, with 1 and 7 referring to Hydra-Matic.

My goof, I'm sorry.

No worries Jack, your knowledge of these cars is invaluable to me and I learn from every post you make.  The ebay seller I've been corresponding with is also most appreciative of the info you've provided that I can pass on to him.  You've helped in two ways...you've educated me a bit more, and by extension I've been able to pass your knowledge on to an ebay seller to 'get it right' on these wonderful orphaned cars...  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 01:06:54 PM »
I noted the posting about switching tags on cars.  There was a time when a lesser grade car (such as a 1951 Kaiser Special 2-door Traveler) in restorable condition became a "donor" for a "transplant" turning the result into a much rarer 1951 Kaiser Deluxe 2-door Traveler.  I myself once contemplated using a 1954 Kaiser Early Special as the platform for rebuilding my father's 1954 Dragon prototype when it was discovered that his car was in much worse shape than anyone thought.

If you move ALL tags (door post serial number, body serial number and body information tag) to the new vehicle (most states now title based on the engine number) this would be acceptible for judging purposes but you need all 3 tags otherwise you will end up with a problem.  The finished product should also be faithful to paint color, interior trim, accessory group items etc otherwise the "trick" will be discovered.