Author Topic: frame to body mounting cushions, '54 KM  (Read 640 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
frame to body mounting cushions, '54 KM
« on: February 10, 2021, 09:32:16 AM »
The parts book lists 212551 for most upper insulators and 200605 for most lower insulators; and 207524 for a couple of lower insulators.  Rudy sells the 212551 in pairs for use in all body mounts.  Other folks have suggested cutting insulators from either old tires or rubber flat stock.  I need to replace all the insulators on my '54 KM and I'm confused as to what direction to take.  I know that proper insulator thickness and durometer are going to affect ride and noise and body twist and door fit, so.....any suggestions or information out there?  I'm leaning towards going with the 212551 for all upper and lower mounts.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: frame to body mounting cushions, '54 KM
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:15:45 AM »
I don't think that an isolator made by you will affect ride and noise on a 70 year old vehicle differently than a HIGH priced one from rudy

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 10:29:27 AM »
I did some back & forth with this guy pete@wefcorubber.com (Pete Stigers) at http://wefcorubber.com/ about windshield gaskets. They are gearing away from new custom production automotive orders but have a huge catalog of auto/marine,general parts that they have/will produce. He might just have your insulator, if not he'll probably know the durometer in general of body insulators.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 09:15:22 AM »
To replace the mounting cushions I'm sure it's better and easier to have the body off the frame.  However, can they be replaced with the body on the frame by taking the old bolts out, bracing and raising the body by an inch on one side at a time, replace cushion and bolt and lower the body in place?