Author Topic: Hydramatic behaviour  (Read 1339 times)

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
Hydramatic behaviour
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
Hi all,
My recent issues (detailed in another thread) have caused me to wonder about something that I have been accepting as normal.  About three years ago I decided to get a '53 Manhattan up and running, and as part of the project I had the transmission rebuilt at a very reputable shop that friends had recommended.  Now, before this car I'd never driven a '50s Dual-Range Hydramatic so when I started driving it around I accepted its behaviour as normal.
So my question is this, and I'm almost afraid to ask it because the tranny is working well and more transmission work is not in the budget:
If you're driving along in, say, fourth gear and you floor it for passing (not that that happens very much!), is the transmission supposed to kick down into third as on a modern trans?  This one doesn't kick down at all, ever;  in order for it to drop down you have to really drop your speed, as you might stopping at a light, and it'll go down into 2nd then 1st.  Do these trannies do a 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd shift on their own, not using the gearshift lever?
Thanks!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hydramatic behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 05:28:04 PM »
Yes, the H-D equipped car should downshift when the accellerator is depressed fully; fluid movement will trigger the move from 4-3 just like the kick-down switch kicks overdrive out to third conventional gear on stick shifts with overdrive. 

According to the diagnostics section of the Kaiser-Frazer Hydra-Matic Shop Manual (the K-52 is the later 1952 Kaiser automatic with dual-range) up to 80% of all problems can be traced back to not enough transmission fluid or impurities (crud) in the fluid (this is listed on page 51).  Tiny bits of stuff in the transmission fluid that would not cause a problem if it was in motor oil can block or otherwise plug the shifter valves and/or smaller passage ways in the unit.   

When's the last time owners of Kaiser or Frazer cars with H-D checked the fluid level and color of your tranny fluid?  You have to peel back the floor mat to get at the access cover for the dipstick and follow the sequence of shifting tests (it's in the shop manual) to see how things are performing.  It may be a bit time-consuming but it's quicker than diagnostics on a Packard Ultramatic transmission (4 hours or more with the special machine that used colored balls and where they sat to tell when problems were detected). 

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »
The Hydramatic shifts like a modern transmission. It should downshift from 4th to 3rd when you push down the accelerator pedal { floor it}, depending on road speed. If you are in 4th at 45 to 50 mph and floor the accelerator pedal the transmission should downshift to 3rd and speed up until you let off the accelerator and the transmission will up shift to 4th. It will not downshift if you are going 75 to 80 mph because the road speed is too high and the governor won't let it happen. On a light throttle , the transmission may go into 4th gear as low as 35 mph. There is a throttle adjustment rod to set the kickdown. See the transmission service manual for the procedure.  This transmission can also be downshifted manually with the shifter. DO NOT downshift manually into 2nd or 1st over 35 mph. The transmission will downshift and unless you are on the gas the rear wheels will slow down and put you up into the dashboard/windshield.

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
Is the K-F Hydra-Matic shop manual available online?
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
Not unless Jim Betts has it in CIRCLEKF.COM

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:25 PM »
Ah yes, I see it.  Reading into it, I realize that I've never depressed the accelerator as fully as is apparently needed to accomplish a forced 4-3 shift;  it looks like you have to put it to the floor and then a bit more!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 02:00:24 AM »
I have the 53 Supplement online but have never scanned the 208 pages of the Main Manual.

If you wish I can scan it and get it posted.

Want it??

Jim
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »
Don't worry about putting that pedal right to the floor, I've done it on my '53 Dragon many times (not recklass, just for passing, etc.). The hydraatic is a tough transmission. That won't break it.

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
Jim, I think the entire KF community might be grateful for access to the Hydramatic Main Manual; I know I would be.  Sounds like a bit of a project, though!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 08:32:46 PM »
The Hydramatic manual is now online (all 206 pages of it) at CIRCLEKF.COM in the Service Department.

FYI - There are two versions of this manual one was issued by the Export Corporation.
They appear to be identical except for the cover and title page.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:02:58 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 06:53:10 PM »
Wow!  Nice work, and quick, too!  I can't wait to do some light reading!
Thanks, from all of us.
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »
I have a couple service type things with covers that show Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation and one for Kaiser-Frazer Export Corporation.  So far as I can tell, the covers and title page are the only differences; none of the service information is unique in one version.  I would have expected references made to metric tools in the export version but no such luck.

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
DH Comet, where are you located?  I can't find anyone in my area 48336 who is willing to rebuild my dual range hydramatic for my '54 KM.

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 10:45:44 AM »
I won't be much help, I'm afraid:  I'm in Canada, near Vancouver.
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan