Author Topic: touch-up paint  (Read 638 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
touch-up paint
« on: May 16, 2021, 12:52:43 PM »
I recently got some jade tint touch-up paint for my car and the color match was perfect. Anyone interested can get it on line from TCP Global, Auto Color Library.  Not cheap.  One quart can of acrylic enamel is $109, but no shipping charge.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: touch-up paint
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 09:04:23 PM »
Is it branded as TCP Global or is the paint a different brand name.  Remember that Darrins and some Kaisers used lacquer, the rest of production used high-temp baked enamel.   

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
It's branded TCP Global. Automotive acrylic enamel.  I just used a small brush to touch up  stone chips, door edges, etc and the color matched perfectly.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
I looked at their website.  They are referencing Ditzler (PPG Finishes) color library stuff and using Ditzler paint numbers.  Ditzler was the main supplier of paint to Kaiser-Frazer (there were several suppliers but the others supplied as secondary sources or certain specific colors).  I'm no auto paint expert but the process they use according to the website is the same that I know of through the PPG side (maybe someone bought out this part of the business from PPG or has some kind of access agreement).

Question to retroguy:  are you also using the hardner they recommend or straight out of the can?

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »
Straight out of the can.  Seems to harden and dry within a couple of hours

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 09:44:20 AM »
Question to retroguy:  are you also using the hardner they recommend or straight out of the can?

What I'm seeing based on the link I found (looking for Ceramic Green for touch up) is that the hardener is a part of the enamel formulation, 8 parts color to 1 part hardener...

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/products/restoration-shop-custom-paint-c?variant=31226399129635
51 Kaiser Deluxe