Author Topic: Hydramatic trans fluid for '54 Kaiser  (Read 940 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hydramatic trans fluid for '54 Kaiser
« on: July 04, 2021, 08:34:41 PM »
I recently properly checked the trans fluid level and found it was over-filled.  The dipstick showed a slightly reddish, clear, clean fluid.  However when I drained the excess fluid out of the trans into a glass jar, the color of the fluid was a very dark brownish black.  Why didn't the dipstick show the same dark color?  I will get a fluid change asap, draining both the torus and pan.
    Everything I read says use Dextron type A, AQ-ATF.  Any other suggestions for a better fluid?
    Does the Hydramatic have a filter somewhere that needs to be changed?  I can find no reference to a filter either in the shop manual, hydramatic manual, or parts list.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hydramatic trans fluid for '54 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »
Like the engine, Hydra-Matic, Ford-O-Matic, and other automatic transmissions of the time have a "sump" in them to try and capture particles of stuff including tiny metal shavings just like the sump in an oil pan.  There is no filter like the oil filter unit on an engine, but there is a screen at the pump inlet that further traps foreign materials.  You will find this screen listed in the 1951 Kaiser Illustrated Parts Book on page 88 Figure 9-12 item 14.  The Hydra-Matic Drive Parts list (illustrated) issued in July 1952 shows the screen in figure 9-11 on page 10, item number 12.  It is listed as "Screen, Oil Pump Intake" with different part numbers for the 1950 and 1951 models and identifies the change made (part number wise) for the 1952 because of the "dual range" design.  According to notation in the K-53 (1953 transmission also applicable to 1954 and 1955 Kaisers) the screen as used in 1952 dual-range continued into the later designs.

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 03:07:30 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll have the shop take off the trans pan, both to check if the screen is clogged and to scrape out any sludge in the bottom of the pan.  I have a Hydramatic shop manual for K-50-52, a Hydramatic shop manual supplement for K-53, a '51 K-F shop manual, a '52-53 Kaiser shop manual supplement, and a '54 Kaiser chassis and body parts list, none of which reference a screen.  I'll have to look for the manuals you referred to.  Thanks again

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 01:56:34 AM »
When Detroit Transmission Division of GM (forefather of Hydra-Matic Division) developed the Hydra-Matic transmission, it was assumed that normal life of these things would be 100,000 miles to 200,000 miles before major rebuild was required.  The screen that I referenced in the previous posting was something that either a transmission shop or factory-trained dealership mechanics would service around 80,000-100,000 miles and the screen was mentioned in passing at the training sessions that dealer mechanics could attend at General Motors Training Centers or held at various VoTec's across the country. 

The screen is mentioned in the Hydra-Matic Manual for the K50, K51 and K52 (dual range box) as follows:

1.  Page 100-101 under REMOVE SERVOS AND OIL PIPES and includes a picture showing removal of the Front Pump Intake Pipe and screen (SP-1932 photo identification).

The information in the prior post identifies K50 and K51 transmission types had the "original" version of the intake pipe and screen while the K52 (and later transmissions) had a different design (change made when the dual-range units came out).

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
Found it!  Thank you.