Author Topic: Powder Coat my 49 Frazer Wheels  (Read 1695 times)

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
Powder Coat my 49 Frazer Wheels
« on: July 30, 2021, 06:33:11 PM »
Has anyone powder coated there 49 K F wheels? They have those tabs that hold the hubcaps and it might change how it grips the hubcaps.

Any ideas or thoughts??

Thanks, William S

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Powder Coat my 49 Frazer Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:33:57 PM »
Powder coating is simply a different method of applying paint.  Be happy to go through the process if you'd like, I worked for a time in a powder coating plant.  I also spent 13 years as a painter, specializing in liquid coatings applied via various means, from air supplied to electrostatic.

But the main point is that the difference between a powder and liquid coated paint job is negligible...the paint film applied is of the same relative thickness.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 01:12:55 PM »
I came close to getting involved with powder coating during my time as a Quality Engineer and Quality Manager but the contracts behind the projects were never implemented, so I have to ask a question to learn more about the process.

Does the powder coating of a wheel vs. regular painting of a wheel result in the same finish regular paint does or is it kind of gritty or otherwise not up to judging requirements?

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 10:44:29 AM »
Can come out as beautiful as a liquid coating if the plant does it right.

Basically, the pieces go through a big conveyer belt steam washing line that blow dries them at the end.  They are then hung from stiff metal wire hooks (different lengths depending on what's being painted) on a line that goes through the painting station.  At the painting station the part revolves so it can be coated on all sides.  The line itself is positively charged, the applied powder coating is blown from a special gun and is negatively charged (interestingly enough with the liquid electrostatic process, the paint is positively charged and the piece is grounded for negative).  If the painter does his job right, a nice even coating of powder is applied, without excess or then spots.  The pieces continue on the line on a serpentine path through a large oven that causes the paint to flow and bake on to the piece, the last part of the line cooling and hardening the paint.  At the end, once the parts are sufficiently cool, they are taken off the hooks and packaged (this of course is on a large run...individual parts for a small order would generally be scheduled for the beginning or end of a run where they're already applying the color of paint in question, or are a one off with a specialized color).

If the process is done right from washing to removal from the line, the coating is indistinguishable from a properly done liquid coating.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »
Thanks for the information.  From your description of the process, What I was told was a commercial painter was actually a power coating operation.  The plant in Ohio was owned as part of the business portfolio held by the family that owned the White Castle hamburger chain (only the family and "friends" had stock in the business).  They were having excessive rejection rates for fish eyes and blobs of paint.  Their client was the Whirlpool Corporation and the product painted was the control panel casting for certain Whirlpool, Kenmore and Kenmore Canada gas or electric stoves. 

I was strictly a die casting/chrome plating guy, and didn't know that much about paint problems.  Kind of like "Windy" Alger at Kaiser-Frazer.  Mr. Alger was a great manager but when they put him in charge of the paint department, he was lost because of its complexity (settings on painting machinery adjusted for temperature and humidity, for example).

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 02:00:44 PM »
Fisheyes are caused by bits of grease, oil or some other spot of contaminant left on the bare metal...parts weren't properly prepped, cleaned and dried before being coated.

Blobs of paint...they likely were trying to reuse powder coating.  During the coating process, not all of the powder particles will get magnetically pulled to the part, so there is a buildup of powder particles that end up on the floor or shelf of the booth.  Not a good idea to try to reuse it.  The other possibility here is a poorly maintained spray gun, one that needs a replacement part or two...or, just an inept painter.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 05:37:48 PM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »
The only problem with powder coating is the companies in our area have a limited supply of colors to choose from which is fine unless the wheels need to match the body color .