Author Topic: Spray Wax v. Paste Wax  (Read 1555 times)

wilhelm

• View Profile
Spray Wax v. Paste Wax
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:46:43 PM »
I've never used a spray wax on my classics, but it does look convenient.  What is your opinion, is spray was as good as paste wax?  Thank you!
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spray Wax v. Paste Wax
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 10:22:18 AM »
Per a conversation I had with a gent who owns a car restoration shop (you can find them here:  https://www.facebook.com/CruzinClassicsLlc) you never want to use a wax of any kind on a classic car finish.  Per him, the wax does not allow the finish to breathe properly and, over time, will cause the paint to fade.

His recommendation is Meguiar's Detail Spray...comes in a black bottle and you can get it at Walmart.  I've been using it for the last year and a half and I can guarantee it will give you the same type of finish as any paste or spray on wax, and will also protect your paint finish from fading.
51 Kaiser Deluxe

wilhelm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
I appreciate your comment, Konrad!  I have heard different people make casual comments about a wax they think works and a wax they think is no good, etc., but wanted to see something in print.  I think you (and the guy with the shop) have a good idea.  Thank you!
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 08:27:15 PM »
If you are repainting your car, the type of paint that's used determines what works for wax or other paint finish treatments.  Do your homework to find out what works best for the type of paint (lacquer, enamel, etc) that works on the car.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 07:32:28 AM »
I've found a two step process to work best for me. First, I complete a clay bar treatment - you'd be surprised at what it pulls off the surface, even after a good washing - followed up by application of Meguiar's Quick Detailer. It provides a nice shine and does not 'seal' the paint like a wax. And, it's a lot easier to use.